Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Break an arc into a number of segments

Options
  • 11-07-2011 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I have an arc that I want to divide into 10 segments, thereby turning it into 10 smaller arc pieces. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Use the DIVIDE command to divide the arc into 10 equal sized pieces.
    Then use the BREAK command to break up the the equal sized arc segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Cheers. I was trying to use divide at the time but didn't realise that the default indicator was set to *blank* and I didn't have the node snap on!

Another one if I may - I now have a mesh of criss-crossing lines. I'd like to make it so that the side of each small rectangular piece is a line unto itself. Basically, if this entire mesh was one polyline, I'd like to explode it into individual lines. I'm attaching an image which will hopefully show what I mean. Any suggestions on a quick way to do this?

Would tracing over it in a new layer be the easiest?

grillage.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wow that is far far better looking than the dwg editor i have at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Cheers. I was trying to use divide at the time but didn't realise that the default indicator was set to *blank* and I didn't have the node snap on!

Another one if I may - I now have a mesh of criss-crossing lines. I'd like to make it so that the side of each small rectangular piece is a line unto itself. Basically, if this entire mesh was one polyline, I'd like to explode it into individual lines. I'm attaching an image which will hopefully show what I mean. Any suggestions on a quick way to do this?

Would tracing over it in a new layer be the easiest?

grillage.jpg

Bit of a cheat here but how I would tackle that on AutoCAD is the following

1 - Zoom into the mesh.
    2 - Start the hatch command
    3 - Select solid hatch and use the pick points option
    4 - You will have to pick each separate box within the mesh, might seem slow but if you zoom in close enough it should be a breeze, you should do the mesh in smaller batches of the hatch command to minimise making mistakes and losing a heap of clicks.
    5 - Fill with solid and move the resulting batch of hatch away from the mesh (I would lock on ortho and select hatch, point upwards and put in a figure to move hatch clear, like 10000 (10m using mm) so it can be popped back into place by reversing move)
    6 - Start hatch command again and select, recreate boundary. Select created hatch(s) and use polyline and N for associate hatch options.
    7 - Delete hatch and you will be left with a bunch of closed polylines for each box you picked.

If you need single lines per edge then I would explode resulting poly's and use the overkill command to delete duplicates.

Might seem a bit too complex but I just ran through a 40 box mesh and got what you were looking for within a minute.... whilst watching telly.

Let me know how you get on

edit: you should know that the results will include arcs for any chord that was originally collinear with an arc, if you want to facet those lines from arcs to straight lines then you might be best off tracing or using my method as a quick way of getting half the lines done easily??

Advertisement