Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland, Scotland, Sri Lanka Tri-Series

Options
  • 11-07-2011 1:11am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Starting tomorrow with Ireland v Sri Lanka, it looks like we'll have close to a full squad http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-sri-lanka-2011/engine/current/match/506206.html

Its hard to know how much of a chance we have, 1 poor game against Namibia was followed by a very comprehensive win while Sri Lanka are just coming off a competitive series versus England. It'll be interesting to see what team they put out.

It looks like this might be streamed live on the net, from Cricinfo:
    Exclusive live video coverage of all three matches of the Tri-Series is being webcast, starting at 10.15am British Summer Time (GMT+1). Coverage can be accessed through http://www.cricketscotland.com, where there is an embedded player on the home page. There is also a click button that takes you to the CricketScotlandTVLive channel page, from where a scalable pop-up viewer is accessible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Surprise surprise, rain delays start!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It must be terrible to be a scottish cricket fan, it seems like every full member game they organise in scotland gets rained off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

jiggychoo wrote: »
    why are these kinda matches takes place . We know the result and still want to play .

Jiggychoo - can I guess where you keep your crystal ball? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Match rained off without a ball being bowled. A pain in the hole for all concerned really, particularly ourselves as we really need as many games against top class opposition as possible :(

Is it not possible to arrange back up days for when this happens?

It's Scotland-Ireland tomorrow so would it not make sense to play Ire-Sri tomorrow since its presumably Sri on the tightest schedule?

• Advertisement

Another 100 for Stirling. What a smashing player he is. His Irish record compared to Morgan's is very impressive. Potentially a better player!

Awful bowling performance. The worst I can remember. Big big setback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Berrington 56 off 23 balls destroyed Ireland chances at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Didn't help dropping Berrington on 18 when the RRR was 7.57, we will just have to beat England to make up for it :P...

Disappointing finish, 65 off the last powerplay. The result was a bit of a surprise to me, I thought Scotland were past it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

really poor result. Stirlo still in form with the bat though.

Scotland in a bit of a resurgance after beating the Dutch twice recently. Still very dissapointing we need to be winning this games at a canter to make the ICC sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Very complacent performance from the boys. They could have easily got 340/350 at one point after a few excellent knocks and a fantastic use of the powerplay but they switched off. The bowling was even more complacent again. They never really looked bothered in the field.

I'm convinced that Ireland think theyre too good for the associates (which they are) after a tight squeeze against Namibia and now a loss to Scotland (who in fairness for the latter part of the game played very well). We have the talent to beat every associate consistenly and on one level the games against the associates are the most important because we will never progress if the ICC see us losing to associates.

SD7792 wrote: »
    Very complacent performance from the boys. They could have easily got 340/350 at one point after a few excellent knocks and a fantastic use of the powerplay but they switched off. The bowling was even more complacent again. They never really looked bothered in the field.

I'm convinced that Ireland think theyre too good for the associates (which they are) after a tight squeeze against Namibia and now a loss to Scotland (who in fairness for the latter part of the game played very well). We have the talent to beat every associate consistenly and on one level the games against the associates are the most important because we will never progress if the ICC see us losing to associates.

With Stirling progressing nicely I think we definitely have the batting talent to beat the associates and compete with the big guns.

I am however worried about our bowling attack. TJ won't be around for the next WC and that leaves us with 2 frontline bowlers (Rankin and Dockrell) and a number of all-rounders (Stirling, Kev, Mooney and Cusack). I really think that without another frontline pace bowler we are going to struggle to bowl a lot of teams out, particularly when we have a bad day in the field like yesterday.

The Scots are getting a bit of a Malinga-led hiding from Sri Lanka today.

SSK wrote: »
    I am however worried about our bowling attack. TJ won't be around for the next WC and that leaves us with 2 frontline bowlers (Rankin and Dockrell) and a number of all-rounders (Stirling, Kev, Mooney and Cusack). I really think that without another frontline pace bowler we are going to struggle to bowl a lot of teams out, particularly when we have a bad day in the field like yesterday.

The Scots are getting a bit of a Malinga-led hiding from Sri Lanka today.

The hammering the Scots got today only makes our bowling attack look even weaker.

So does this make the case for Murtagh stronger?, if you put Murtagh, Marshall, Joyce, Niall into that team it will help the team overall but a main attack of Rankin, Murtagh and Dockrell isn't bad at all when TJ does retire, with help from Stirling and Kevin,

another positive is the batting of Cusack, he does look good recently and he might not be your game finisher but he holds an end tight and can bat through, and he goes about his business quietly which helps calm the team, and helps stop the team from collapsing...

Cremated wrote: »
    So does this make the case for Murtagh stronger?, if you put Murtagh, Marshall, Joyce, Niall into that team it will help the team overall but a main attack of Rankin, Murtagh and Dockrell isn't bad at all when TJ does retire, with help from Stirling and Kevin,

another positive is the batting of Cusack, he does look good recently and he might not be your game finisher but he holds an end tight and can bat through, and he goes about his business quietly which helps calm the team, and helps stop the team from collapsing...

If Murtagh wants to play then I don't see the harm in calling him up, its a definite area of weakness and all potential options should be explored. He is an experienced CC bowler after all.

Yeah Cusack has been good lately, his batting looks to have improved immensely.

If Marshall and Murtagh both played I think you'd be looking at something like this:

Joyce
    Stirling
    Porterfield
    Marshall
    Niall
    3 of Cusack/Wilson/Kev/Mooney
    TJ (Murtagh in time)
    Dockrell
    Rankin

Which isn't a bad team at all. If both Murtagh and TJ were there I'd probably play both and only play 2 of the all-rounders/Wilson.

Also on cricinfo they mentioned in an Irish review after the World Cup a few players who would be looking for starts come the next World Cup,

Craig Young (Sussex), Graeme McCarter (Gloucestershire), James Shannon (Worcestershire), Stuart Poynter (Middlesex) and Shane Getkate (Warwickshire)

and they said about ''One richly talented schoolboy, Jordan Coghlan, is on his way too, once the Leaving Certificate is put to bed. The Clontarf fast bowler has already had a successful trial with Hampshire, but Sussex are also keen to contract him.''

and also compared McCarter to Brett Lee, ''who's right-arm pace has an approach reminiscent of Brett Lee''

and I know Peter Connell was dropped back in 2009 for a bad attitude, does anyone know if he is likely to play for Ireland again?,

and for the younger guys I really don't know much about them at all and I hope someone here could try tell me something about them?, and is Getkate likely to play cricket again after his health scare?...

Advertisement