Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical tank info

Options
  • 11-07-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Have a 120L Juwel tank with filter and heater.

Have 10 goldfish in there at the moment, and big enough to put into my pond now.

Want to start a tropical tank, but dont know a lot about it...

I bought the juwel water heater to suit the filter enclosure and in the next month i am going to start the new tank.

Info needed as I havent done this before.

I am not sure of the tempeture needed, do I let water settle for a week or more before adding fish?
    Is there certain fish you cant mix?

Do you use real plants or can I keep the existing set up I have?

Currently I have a 120L tank with 3 fake plant and 2 air stone's.

Do I need more?

Any help would be most appreciated.......

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Okay, if you have fish in there at the moment, I'm guessing the tank is cycled?

If so, you won't need to let the water settle, just do a large water change, v important that you don't let your filter bacteria die..

Some real plants are usually a nice addition.

And it depends on what fish you want to keep, is there any you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

buzz wrote: »
    Have a 120L Juwel tank with filter and heater.

Have 10 goldfish in there at the moment, and big enough to put into my pond now.

Want to start a tropical tank, but dont know a lot about it...

I bought the juwel water heater to suit the filter enclosure and in the next month i am going to start the new tank.

Info needed as I havent done this before.

I am not sure of the tempeture needed, do I let water settle for a week or more before adding fish?
    Is there certain fish you cant mix?

Do you use real plants or can I keep the existing set up I have?

Currently I have a 120L tank with 3 fake plant and 2 air stone's.

Do I need more?

Any help would be most appreciated.......

Cheers

I'd just do a quarter water change, stick on the heater and wait a day for the water to heat before adding fish - Its really the same idea keeping tropical fish as gold fish except you need a heater - and the way to find out what heat to have it is by researching the fish - I use a website called fishlore.com

Also before you buy fish do some research - A big problem is buying a fish that will out grow your tank so watch out for them and some fishshops would have no problem selling them to you - They're usually the cute little monsters.

Look at neon tetras, guppies, mollies, platies, danios, cardinals, swordtails, corydoras.

These are good fish, non-agressive and most of them are hardy -

Advertisement