Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogfish for bait???

Options
  • 10-07-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I know I'm not the only one who is loathsome of the dogfish, who turn the prospect of a nice meal into a hook stripped of bait. It would be nice to use this fish to attract an edible fish, other than the normal throw back routine so commonly used when faced with catching it. If it can be used for bait- What fish could you catch? Is it easy to cut? Does it hold well on the hook?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

FionnBarr wrote: »
    I know I'm not the only one who is loathsome of the dogfish, who turn the prospect of a nice meal into a hook stripped of bait. It would be nice to use this fish to attract an edible fish, other than the normal throw back routine so commonly used when faced with catching it. If it can be used for bait- What fish could you catch? Is it easy to cut? Does it hold well on the hook?
    i did that before i ran out of bait on my last strip of mackerel i got a dogfish and decided to cut it up in small pieces i caught dogfish on it and a few crab off rosslare harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

FionnBarr wrote: »

The only thing I could think of is Conger. I've seen small dog fish caught up in nets on my local pier, I might give it a go some evening while I'm fishing for Conger.

Have you ever tried eating dog fish? I don't catch it that often but I hear it's edible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

effluent wrote: »
    The only thing I could think of is Conger. I've seen small dog fish caught up in nets on my local pier, I might give it a go some evening while I'm fishing for Conger.

Have you ever tried eating dog fish? I don't catch it that often but I hear it's edible
    never eatin it before but years ago dogfish was sold in chippers as rock salmon and to eat them you have to boil the skin off them but that also kills the amonia in them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Useless as bait..if they're roten you can use them in a lobster pot but not many fish will bite due to the lack of oils etc.

They can be eaten but the skin is like sandpaper and needs to be removed..dip the fish in boiling water and peel the skin off..then if you cut it into thick strips and coat in batter it tastes quite good deep fried.

Be aware of the "amonia" smell that can sometimes be present..if it smells of piss throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Ive eaten it before its a bit bland but has a nice meaty texture,they sometimes use it for bait for skate over the west if there are so many dogfish around and they are getting to the bait before the skate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Lads please unless you are seriously good at preparing fish dont even bother taking any doggies home for the pot
    Its not worth the hassle

Also what really is the point of using them as bait ?If you run out then call it a day and make sure you are better prepared the next day.

If you still want to try a bit of rock salmon then make sure when you catch the fish (only use big doggies/bull huss)

Gut It
    Remove the back fin
    Then fillet in one motion along the back bone(Bring gloves)
    Wash it in seawater
    Then keep it cool until you get home

Then skin from the tail end and sorted

Ammonia leeches from the bone to the flesh after the death of the fish and makes the meat inedible

Advertisement