Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Screen

Options
  • 10-07-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have 2 monitors on my desktop, just the usual TFT type. I have a VGA splitter connecting both to my CPU, but both display the same thing and the CPU is only recognising one monitor.

What am I doing wrong.

I'm running Windows 7.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can't use a splitter.

You would need to have two connections on your video card (vga, DVI, HDMI)

One connection means the PC only sees one monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Microsoft support made it sound easy, but had no answer to the issue encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

ninty9er wrote: »
    Microsoft support made it sound easy, but had no answer to the issue encountered

Google search > microsoft support. Seriously.

And as Paulw said, a VGA splitter is akin to an audiojack splitter - it just splits the signal. To get actual dual monitor output you need 2 video outputs on your PC, although they dont need to be the same ones, so you need 2 VGA/DVI/HDMI ports at the very least. Doesn't matter what kind of monitors you have (VGA I guess), because there are VGA adapters for DVI and HDMI outputs, although you won't get HDMI video quality if you put a VGA adapter on it, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Yeah you need two output ports in your card, something like below

07.11.2011-13.44.41.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Surley wrote: »
    Are you sure? Sitting at my PC at work, two monitors and they use a splitter. It did require a new card installed on the PC but definitely using a VGA splitter.

Why a new card?

So, you have two monitors going to a single interface on the card in your PC?

I've two monitors connected to my PC in work - one to vga port and the other to the dvi port. The computer sees two separate ports and monitors, so I can properly dual screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Those splitters use a custom dual DVI splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think windows could recognise two monitors plugged into the one output and if it did I'd imagine you'd have to half the data between them restricting the quality of the picture.

The vast majority of Graphics cards that have been around for the last few years have at least two separate outputs to enable them to service old VGA monitors and new DVI monitors so it won't be hard or expensive to find a graphics card that does what you want, newer cards can work with up to 6 monitors.

Advertisement