Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone help identify this catterpillar and crysillis

Options
  • 10-07-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

found this caterpillar next to a load of yellow crysalis as in the attached photos, some are empty and the only butterflies or moths that i saw were with tiny fawn moths or small brown butterflies. any ideas anyone. It was an area at he back of a beach and in the bog/saltmarsh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Six-spot burnet caterpillar, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cherrieblossom

thanks for that , I thought that initially but there were loads of six spotted burnets round a few weeks ago, would there be a second load of them hatching, am not really au fait with the life cycle of moths

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Check this page it will give you information on the life cycle.

http://www.arkive.org/six-spot-burnet-moth/zygaena-filipendulae/image-A18040.html#text=Biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cherrieblossom

that is definatly what it is, I saw one of teh pupa cases partially open yesterday and there was a very black antenae sticking out , did not have time to wait to watch it comeout, am looking forward to seeing all those lovely creatures flying around ion a few days , there is loads of ragworth in the same area so there might be loads of cinabar moths there too , thanks for your help can sleep tonight happily now

Advertisement