Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to trout fishing

Options
  • 10-07-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

I am new to fishing only been out a couple of times.
    Today I was on a small enough river where I had caught a little trout before but no luck today.
    I could hear the fish making noise on the surface of the water, one actually jumped clean out of the water so the fish are there.
    I was using a float with a hooked worm at the end but as I say no luck.
    Should I be using flies when after trout or was I just having back luck?
    Any suggestions as I don't know what to try next.
    Here is the fish I caught before, could somebody id it please.
    ?ui=2&ik=c2c2970082&view=att&th=130b1d29672238d4&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1372221111915249664-1&zw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hi,

I am new to fishing only been out a couple of times.
    Today I was on a small enough river where I had caught a little trout before but no luck today.
    I could hear the fish making noise on the surface of the water, one actually jumped clean out of the water so the fish are there.
    I was using a float with a hooked worm at the end but as I say no luck.
    Should I be using flies when after trout or was I just having back luck?
    Any suggestions as I don't know what to try next.
    Here is the fish I caught before, could somebody id it please.
    ?ui=2&ik=c2c2970082&view=att&th=130b1d29672238d4&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1372221111915249664-1&zw
    No pic there I think. If the fish are making noise on the surface generally means they are taking flies off the surface. Sometimes the fish will become preoccupied with that particular hatch and feed on nothing else. Fly fishing would probably be more productive than worming

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

try small flies on a bubble.
    if your not that experienced with fly fishing, look at the river and see what flies you can see. try and match the color and size of the flies on the river, with the flies on your line, as best you can.
    if floating the flies you will need a silicone wax or spray, and use as lite a line as passable .4lb-6lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Thanks for that.

So the rig I need is basically what is described on this site?
    http://fishingmyway.com/uncategorized/spin-fishing-using-the-fly-and-bubble-method

One question is the leader part of the rig necessary?

One question is the leader part of the rig necessary?

The leader described in the link is just normal fishing line from a spool, so yes it is required. For wet fly try and keep leader to about 6lb-8lb and for dry fly keep the leader to about 4lb-6lb.
    In the link it says to keep the leader 6` from the swivel to the fly.
    Just remember the shorter the leader the chances are the float/bubble
    will spook the fish.
    The longer the leader the harder it is to cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Sorry meant to say is there any need to get some special line to use as the leader. The main line I have at the moment is 8lb.

• Advertisement

You could use the main line on your reel if you want but, if its been on the reel a while it could have a memory and cause tangles.
    To check this, take some line off the reel and see if it curls up into circles, about the same size of the spool it came off.
    Anyway its probably best if you buy some new line for a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

fly fishing takes a long time to learn if your commited and even lads who've fly fished years learn more everyday. the floating worm produced lovely fish with me in the past and so has fly fishing aswell so give both a try when your out try the floating worm and fly fish aswell hopefully it'll produce nice fish to keep you hooked! :D
    i myself always use minnow for trout as they are natural and favourite prey of wild trout or even try using a spinner. pm me if you need any tips on using minnow as its not that easy to do

Advertisement