Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing ones name

Options
  • 10-07-2011 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,

I wish to change my name from what it is ("Norman Winchester") to "Michael Scofield"

How do I go about legally changing my name? Is it easy to do?

And do I have to then get my passport re-issued?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

You should enquire with Lincoln Burrows. You can probably reach him by letter at Fox River Penitentiary

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

muffinman wrote: »
    You should enquire with Lincoln Burrows. You can probably reach him by letter at Fox River Penitentiary
    Lets at least attempt to keep this one on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Call or write to Deed Poll Section, Central Office, the Four Courts, they will give you all the information you need, once you change name to have to produce the deed poll documents with any I'd documents, for example if you need to produce your birth cert you must also produce deed poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AIM69

Call or write to Deed Poll Section, Central Office, the Four Courts, they will give you all the information you need, once you change name to have to produce the deed poll documents with any I'd documents, for example if you need to produce your birth cert you must also produce deed poll.

Hi,

Probably you would have progressed it by now. Just want to let you know my experience. I had changed my name recently through Deed-Poll. It is very simple. But the Passport office refusing to issue me new pasport on new name saying that I must produce evidence of using that name for at least two years.

Is anybody in similar situation?

AIm69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 aacs

Well in that case you are caught in a situation wherein you were not aware of legal tangles which are made sometimes making no sense to anyone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In fairness, given that it is so easy to change or alter one's name here in Ireland and the UK, it isn't surprising that there is a rule that you must have used that name for 2 years before having a passport issued under that name. In fact 2 years seems very reasonable given how a change of name might accommodate fraudulent activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Beggared

Does that not infringe on your rights to travel freely within the EU for that 2 years?

Beggared wrote: »
    Does that not infringe on your rights to travel freely within the EU for that 2 years?
    No, you retain the right to travel under the name that you have used for the 2 years preceding the deed poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Beggared

But if you have legally changed your name can you apply for a passport, assuming you never had one, under the old name or travel under a passport with the old name? That's like having dual legal identities, can't be right, can it?

Beggared wrote: »
    But if you have legally changed your name can you apply for a passport, assuming you never had one, under the old name or travel under a passport with the old name? That's like having dual legal identities, can't be right, can it?
    Yes you would have to go under the name you'd been using for the two preceding years, even after having changed your name.

I have two nationalities and two passports with different surnames, the amount of times I've observed situations whereby I could very easily commit a fraudulent or deceptive act, were I a sort of scallywag, have been too frequent to count.
    The same must apply to those who changes their name, then apply for a new passport without handing in the old one.

so it's not surprising that the authorities make you wait two years, but even a two year wait doesn't prevent someone from taking advantage of the deed poll.

Just wondering as I type this whether anyone knows how it works for married women? Do they have to travel under their maiden name for two years? I'd be extremely surprised if that's the case.

• Advertisement

later10 wrote: »
    Yes you would have to go under the name you'd been using for the two preceding years, even after having changed your name.

I have two nationalities and two passports with different surnames, the amount of times I've observed situations whereby I could very easily commit a fraudulent or deceptive act, were I a sort of scallywag, have been too frequent to count.
    The same must apply to those who changes their name, then apply for a new passport without handing in the old one.

so it's not surprising that the authorities make you wait two years, but even a two year wait doesn't prevent someone from taking advantage of the deed poll.

Just wondering as I type this whether anyone knows how it works for married women? Do they have to travel under their maiden name for two years? I'd be extremely surprised if that's the case.

It is no where difficult to change your name.
    Once you changed your name through Deed Poll, who ever holding your data obliged to update their record to reflect new name. They are entitled to verify your deed poll.

Deed poll allows you to update all your bank account, Social Welfare, Revenue, Utility etc.

Your argument that it is necessary to use for 2 yrs is totally ridiculous. You don't need passport to travel in EU. So how this rule going to help?

Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Recently changed my name from Sean to JAck for my new passport

leposean wrote: »
    Recently changed my name from Sean to JAck for my new passport

Have you used your new name for 2 yrs before applying?

AIM69 wrote: »
    It is no where difficult to change your name.
    Once you changed your name through Deed Poll, who ever holding your data obliged to update their record to reflect new name. They are entitled to verify your deed poll.
    So you're saying that the passport office are lying to you?

I'm sure this isn't the first time they've been presented with this issue, I'm sure they didn't make up the 2 year rule on the spot.

Your argument that it is necessary to use for 2 yrs is totally ridiculous. You don't need passport to travel in EU. So how this rule going to help?
    I didn't say it was anything to do with travel, a passport is a very versatile and important document that can be used for all sorts of identification purposes, including securing a PPS number, and accessing social welfare, or taking out a bank loan.

Sure, there are other ways of presenting fraudulent or deceptive IDs, but this is obviously a very key step in curtailing such deliberate deception. The passport office don't have the remit to curtail it all, but what is under their remit to control, they obviously take quite seriously, and rightly so.

later10 wrote: »
    So you're saying that the passport office are lying to you?

I'm sure this isn't the first time they've been presented with this issue, I'm sure they didn't make up the 2 year rule on the spot.

I haven't anywhere said that the passport office made this rule in my case. I am questioning the practice as on one hand the law allowing you to change and on the other hand they are not obeying the law.

[QUOTE
    I didn't say it was anything to do with travel, a passport is a very versatile and important document that can be used for all sorts of identification purposes, including securing a PPS number, and accessing social welfare, or taking out a bank loan.

Sure, there are other ways of presenting fraudulent or deceptive IDs, but this is obviously a very key step in curtailing such deliberate deception. The passport office don't have the remit to curtail it all, but what is under their remit to control, they obviously take quite seriously, and rightly so.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you need passport to obtain welfare, loan, etc.
    You need address proof, photo id and like. You can't obtain pps just you have new name and passport. You will only update your name with same pps. So your identity not changed. Passport office has the option of printing your birth cert name on passport as well. Say you have used new name for two years, how it is going to help as your passport is on old name. They doesn't match.

I haven't anywhere said that the passport office made this rule in my case.
    Sweet Jesus
    Just want to let you know my experience. I had changed my name recently through Deed-Poll. It is very simple. But the Passport office refusing to issue me new pasport on new name saying that I must produce evidence of using that name for at least two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 danielrosehill

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but having a very similar problem to AIM69.

Assuming that no way of working around the bureaucrat's is going to be forthcoming, I agree that it's completely ridiculous (incidentally, the Gardai who signed the photos for me, even after I was told the same two year deal, agreed with me).

A deed poll represents a legal commitment to refrain from using your old name, and to commit to using only the assumed one. Or, in the actual words of the Poll, 'I hereby declare that I shall at all times hereafter, in all records, deeds, and documents, .....subscribe the name [ASSUMED/NEW SURNAME] as my name in plae of and in lieu of my former surname of [OLD SURNAME] relinquished as aforesaid.'

So effectively continuing to use a passport in your old name violates the Deed and affidavit that you swore to the High Court!

As an aside, a deed poll, without the two year's usage business, is good enough for the Motor Tax Office, banks, etc. Seemingly just the people at the Passport Office give hassle.

Advertisement