Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog breed-laparatsu

Options
  • 10-07-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any info on this dog breed (laparatsu), is it a mixed breed and are they a medium size dog? Can't find any information... Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I assume you are taking about a lhasa apso?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa_Apso

Please contact the IKC if youre looking to buy a pup from a breeder that will be sure that you are getting a lhasa apso.

And in case you are looking for a pup or dog to rescue try www.irishanimals.ie or call up to see the pups at www.dogstrust.ie (not featured on their website)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I know of almost 350 purebred dogs, but have never heard of a laparatsu? Where did you find the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

No def not a lhaso apso, that's what i assumed it was at first. There's a pic of mixed laparatsu pups on done deal. It must be one of those mixed names like labradoodle. Just can't figure out what..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

venusdoom wrote: »
    No def not a lhaso apso, that's what i assumed it was at first. There's a pic of mixed laparatsu pups on done deal. It must be one of those mixed names like labradoodle. Just can't figure out what..

cross between a Lhaso Apso and a Shih-Tzu i'd assume

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just looked them up on donedeal - they will grow up to be good looking dogs i'd say.. good cross breed (cosmetically)

• Advertisement

Yes, my brother got one. A lovely pup, but just very big so far with big chunky paws too. They thought the mother was lhasa apso but misheard, was laparatsu. Maybe it is lhasa apso and shi tzu mix. All's these crazy names are hard to keep up with. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yes, my brother got one. A lovely pup, but just very big so far with big chunky paws too. They thought the mother was lhasa apso but misheard, was laparatsu. Maybe it is lhasa apso and shi tzu mix. All's these crazy names are hard to keep up with. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I'm not having a go, but these crazy names are just made up by people to try and sell something. I know in your first post you said it was a cross breed, but you did ask if anyone has heard of the breed - they are not a breed, they are crosses, mongrels, call then what you will. Nothing at all wrong with crosses, but it just really winds me up when someone makes up these stupid names and then sells pups for stupid money. No health testing will have been done, so who knows how healthy these dogs will be when they grow up. Unfortunately your brother has also come across the big downfall with these crosses, you don't know how they will turn out, what size they will be, what coat they will have etc.

I have cross breeds, I love them to bits, but thats what they are, they are mutts:D

I'm not having a go at you, just having a bit of a rant at the stupid, irresponsible breeders who flood our pounds and shelters.

:) Ok... Yeah I know about the unpredicted health stats etc but they got what they wanted, a puppy. They've the space and will look after it. I just never really heard of these names before, esp laparatsu. At the end of the day, it's a dog that they'll love regardless of looks or size. Just the name bugged me! And yeah from just looking into the laparatsu, I've noticed a lot of 'mongrels' selling for big bucks. Every dog I've had has always been mongrel and free and have been great companions. People these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

From the size of the dog etc sounds to me like a cross between a labrador and a shtz tzu (cannot spell it lol):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I agree with ISDW its so annoying when these pups are bought by people who dont know any better and the silly breeders are just lining their pockets. At least be upfront about what they are.

Aside from the fact that its good to know what the parents are so you can be aware of any potential genetic issues...

A friend of a friend of mine went looking for a book about cavachons, fully in thought that they were a proper breed, and was outraged when she heard her precious puppy was a crossbreed. Makes you think ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I just looked them up on done deal too, I have a Lhasa and there's no Lhasa Apso or Shih Tzu in those, far too big pups, they look like there's some Lab in them and some long haired dog too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Shih tzu & Lhasa Apso mix is a Shih Apso, never heard of a laparatsu, if it is spelt 'tzu' at the end that I guess might imply a Shih tzu mix of some description. But if it's a medium sized dog it's definitely mixed with/ mix of something a lot bigger.

To be honest whilst yes there are a lot of Heinz57 dogs out there, if you're investing in one it could be handy to know what breeds of dogs were mixed to create it. Just because it will give you a better idea of what to expect, if the pup your brother has, has big chunky paws, chances are it's going to be big when it's fully grown. It also can give you an idea of what the temperament might be of the dog too.

With regard to random mixed dogs given a fancy name, I think others have said stuff already that's relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I see at the top they're listed as Lapadoodles. Maybe a misspelling of Labradoodle?

Advertisement