Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psoriasis, gluten, arthritis

Options
  • 09-07-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Just checking if the gluten-sensitivity idea of psoriasis is recognised, and whether a gluten-free diet can help alleviate the associated arthritis? Friend of mine was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paralief

Psoriatic arthritis is a nasty disease. While there has been much speculation about the role of wheat proteins, not just gluten, in certain auto-immune diseases there is little evidence of causality. Perhaps your friend could try a wheat free diet for a month & see if it makes a difference. While it wouldn't be diagnostic, given the natural variability of the illness, it may certainly help to clarify this particular theory for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

The same goes for nightshades (i.e. tomatoes, potatoes, capsicums) - lot of people swear by it (for arthritis), but there is not scientific evidence.
    but i generally believe that food has a massive influence (I'm hypothyroid, and am on a gluten free diet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oniume

My brother had mild psioiasis, cleared up when he cut guten out of his diet , reoccurs every time he eats bread

Advertisement