Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby seagull fell off roof

Options
  • 09-07-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I've got a baby seagull wandering around my front garden, now baby doesn't quite describe him as he is more or less fully grown, but I don't think he can fly. Seems to be calling to parents a bit.

I reckon he must have fell off the roof or something, don't think he is injured as wandering around happy enough.

Anyway much as their noise does annoy me I feel a bit sorry for him, any suggestions. Part of me thinks he might be grand anyway as he is big enough and I would imagine should be flying soon enough anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

If the parent continue to feed the bird, leave him where he is. If they do not feed it, put it back on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think he'll be grand I saw, when a dog went by he flew up onto the wall. Not quite sure if he can fly up to the roof but parents are around anyway and he not far off being able to get back up on the roof I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Get him back on the roof quick- cats will slay him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Get him back on the roof quick- cats will slay him!

Leave him where he is. If it's as old as you suggest he will just jump down again. Leave well enough alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The very same thing happened to me about a fortnight ago and again this morning. Both times I found a baby seagull at the side of the house as they either fell off the roof or tried flying but didnt succeed and ended up on the ground. In both cases I picked the seagull up and as quickly as possible in order to not stress it out, I carried it upstairs, I opened my bedroom window, stood on the window ledge and while holding onto the window frame with one hand, I had the seagull in the other and just reached up and placed him on the roof just beside the guttering. He then walked up to the apex of the roof and joined back up with his siblings. There are a lot of cats in my area and I didnt want to leave either seagull where they were. Some may say let nature take it's course etc. but I feel it worked out well in both cases. And besides, I dont believe nature is really taking its course if a domestic cat killed the seagull anyway.
    OP - let us know the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Leave him where he is. If it's as old as you suggest he will just jump down again. Leave well enough alone.

So you won't help any creature out when in trouble cos they'll only do it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So you won't help any creature out when in trouble cos they'll only do it again?
    A fledged Seagull will be well able to look after himself and if he felt inclinded to drop into the garden he'll do so again.

I help, no, I save animals almost every week. I have put my own life at risk to save animals.

Advertisement