Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetac question

Options
  • 08-07-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

ETAC Level 5 or 6 awards is any full award what is a full award does that mean passing a certain amount required in the plc gives you a full award

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

tzfrantic wrote: »
    ETAC Level 5 or 6 awards is any full award what is a full award does that mean passing a certain amount required in the plc gives you a full award

A Major award or a "full" consists of a number of modules. Each modules carry different credits for example Fetac level 5 communications (G20001) carries 1 credit. For a Full Fetac level 5 award you need to make up 8 credits.

You need to pass the mandatory modules on the course which you choose to study in order to pass. This is my own understanding of the system, but some here may have more knowledge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

so passing the mantatory modules means you obtained a full awrd

so passing the mantatory modules means you obtained a full awrd

I could be wrong but I think it does, the modules aren't impossible, do your work and study, and you'll pass em all.

If you want to continue on to the I.T's and Universities you need to be targeting distinctions.

the college i am going to only requires a full level 5 fetac so that means i only have to pass sure i am sure of that as other places say a full 5 fetac award with 3 disextinctions

here is what it says The minimum entry requirements for graduates of FETAC Level 5 or 6 awards is any full award. This award must include Mathematics (C20139) or Mathematics for Computing (C20175) or Mathematics for Engineering (C20174)
    does that mean i onlt have to pass the 8 modules

• Advertisement

the college i am going to only requires a full level 5 fetac so that means i only have to pass sure i am sure of that as other places say a full 5 fetac award with 3 disextinctions

Competition for places can be fierce though, best to give it your all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

here is what it says The minimum entry requirements for graduates of FETAC Level 5 or 6 awards is any full award. This award must include Mathematics (C20139) or Mathematics for Computing (C20175) or Mathematics for Engineering (C20174)
    does that mean i onlt have to pass the 8 modules

Certain courses have a tiny number of reserved places for FETAC students (2 or 3). In almost every case, competition is extremely stiff for these places and distinctions across the board are required to get in. A full award is the absolute minimum required.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

A full award is all mandatory modules and sufficient number of other modules at the same level as the award to bring you up to the number of modules required for a full award.

Generally 8 modules at the same level equals a full award but must include the mandatories. In order to progress on to an IoT University using FETAC you probably need to be pressing with all distinctions. Another condition is that all the modules were complete in one sitting ie not combining from a number of years. The other route to consider is if you are going to one of the larger FE colleges is to find out whether they have special links or arrangements with IoTs or Universities as a number of them have. DM me your details etc if you need any help.

when you say Generally 8 modules at the same level equals a full award but must include the mandatories. do you mean when you say same level that at level 5 or what do you mean as same level coz i am doing the coarse and it is a level 5 coarse

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

If you are doing a course in a FE college then you will probably be expected to pass all the modules you are sitting in order to gain the full award. Most colleges are now only offering the minimum number of modules needed to get a full award due to cutbacks in teacher allocation etc. In the past they may have offered one or two extra modules.

The criteria for the full award is set by FETAC and they use the terms mandatories and electives but that does not mean that electives are optional for you to take. If the college is only offering the minimum number of modules you need for a full award then you will have to pass all the modules timetabled for your class. Details of the mandatories and possible electives are available on the FETAC website. In their course information material the college may refer to the modules as mandatory and elective but that is not mandatory and elective as regards your attendance but with reference to the criteria for a full award. It is helpful for a Learner who already holds a FETAC level 5 award and is bringing that with them to the course.

Under the current FETAC system the vast majority of FETAC level 5 awards require 8 credits with each module at the same level of the award (ie the modules are at Level 5) equalling 1 credit (generally). So if the award is at level 5 then the vast majority of its modules are probably at Level 5 modules and are worth 1 credit (there are some exceptions especially in Hairdressing and Drama).

If you need 8 credits to get a full award then you will need to pass the mandatories and a sufficient number of other modules to bring you up to 8 credits. (ie probably all the modules on your course) However if it is important to check that all your modules are worth 1 credit, sometimes the course may have 9 modules but 2 of these are at Level 4 and are thus only worth .5 of a credit at level 5. Therefore you need to pass all 9 modules in order to get 8 credits (if that is the criteria for a full award). Alternatively the course may contain a Level 6 module which may be worth 2 credits.

It is good practice in most large FE colleges to provide you with details of what you need to get a full award at the start of the course with module names and codes and credit value. The college is required under its FETAC QA policy and procedures to ensure that Learners receive adequate information and details re the awards etc and that the course contains the correct number of modules etc for the Learners to gain a full award.

The only time you need to worry about modules on a course etc prior to starting a course is if you are planning on going onto to an Institute of Technology or a University and you need some modules which are not mandatory to the award. If this is the case then check with the IoT or University as to what they require - they will use the FETAC award codes and module codes whereas the FE colleges use the names. It is important to compare the codes with the names on the FETAC website and get them to confirm that these are the ones they are offering on the course you are planning to do. Do not rely on the names of the modules as there are many similar names on modules. In many cases and especially in the current climate of cutbacks FE centres may not be able to provide this information to you until Sept and as I said that information is normally provided to learners in writing then.

I state generally because there are some exceptions. DM with details of where you want to go, what you are planning to do etc if you have any more specific queries.

Finally do remember you may need to get distinctions throughout all modules if you are planning on progressing to a IoT or University as competition for FETAC places is very intense.

• Advertisement

ok thanks it only in the college that i need a full award with it containing maths i know it now and i know now what a full award means thanks this thread is solved ps i plann to do my best in it i was just wanting to know what a full award was but now i know

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gracie1

Hi I did a Diploma in Management and Employee Relations with the NCI and was conferred in November 2000. I was wondering if anyone had done the same Diploma and if they know what Fetac level this relates to? It was done by distance learning with Ormonde College Kilkenny, Need to find out as an important job offer rests on it. Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gracie1 wrote: »
    Hi I did a Diploma in Management and Employee Relations with the NCI and was conferred in November 2000. I was wondering if anyone had done the same Diploma and if they know what Fetac level this relates to? It was done by distance learning with Ormonde College Kilkenny, Need to find out as an important job offer rests on it. Thank you.

I would contact NCI and ask them.

Advertisement