Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapped network drives acting like a cd

Options
  • 08-07-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im running xp on a machine and when i map network drives(some not all though), they seem to kinda act like they are cd ie right click on the problematic drive an there is an option to autoplay. The problem is that when you double click the network drive, it says access denied, however when you right click and go explore it works fine. I can still get it to work however it seems like its a weird bug that can happen to any network drive on different pc's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Check for an autorun.inf file in the root of the mapped drive. Some virii / malware drop these files in order to infect other computers across the network.

It might be a hidden file, so change your view options in Windows Explorer if you haven;t done so already.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Check for an autorun.inf file in the root of the mapped drive. Some virii / malware drop these files in order to infect other computers across the network.

It might be a hidden file, so change your view options in Windows Explorer if you haven;t done so already.

Brian

You see the problem isnt with any one mapped drive.On one computer it could be x drive that is working and y not.

On the next it could be y that is working and x that isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a registry key that determines what happens when you add a new volume, of whatever kind. On my PC I have it set to not do anything for CDs and network shares.

The reg key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    A DWORD value called NoDriveTypeAutoRun controls the behaviour, google that name for articles about the details.

This is a possible reason for the different behaviour on different PCs.

You may also find it here too:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

**Modify the Registry at your own risk !!**

Advertisement