Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Walking

Options
  • 08-07-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I was just wondering do people use dog walkers any more? If so, how much do you pay them?

I've just finished my Leaving Cert and I'm hoping for Veterinary Medicine. I'd like to make a bit of money over the summer and I would like to know if this would be a good way to make money while being in contact with animals at the same time!!

Has anyone ever done this before and could you give me advice?

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have never used a dog walker but have you tried calling in to the local Vets to see if any might offer you some work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Doggie Walkie

Discodog wrote: »
    I have never used a dog walker but have you tried calling in to the local Vets to see if any might offer you some work ?

I haven't tried that! Do you think they'd have any jobs going during the recession? Good idea, I might try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well you would have nothing to lose & the contacts could be useful for the future. If I were you I would visit each Vet & ask. Enthusiasm is infectious. If you get rejected then ask if they know of anyone else to try. Make it clear that you are willing to do anything :eek:

Pop into Barna Vet Clinic - they are a really nice bunch. Ask if you can speak to Leanne. If you can't find work then do some voluntary with a rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

there are two internships in galway pet stores advertised on jobbridge.ie but afaik you need to be on the dole to apply for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

There will be plenty of rescues who could do with a hand, if its experience you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Walking dogs you say.......... interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Ten euro an hour at most if you have no car (you often need a car to ferry dogs to a safe area where they can be left off-lead) and you just string them around the streets or roads on a lead.

If you've a car, fifteen euro an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would say that you would be better off going for work experience, in veterinary practices or local animal welfare, it's great experience and always handy to put on the CV. You wouldn't really have time over the summer to build up business so you probably wouldn't end up making much money anyway, plus people would most likely be reluctant to hire you as they know that it won't be a permanent thing and they will be looking for someone new come September.

Advertisement