Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Problems

Options
  • 08-07-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

HDD: Dane Elec HDMI
    Laptop: Hp Pavilion dv6

Ok my problem is that my external hard drive continues to disconnect whenever i try to write a file on to it. This all started when i was clearing space on it. I would be deleting a file then the progress box would frezze explorer.exe would not respond and the only way to fix it would be to unplug the hard drive. Ive tried countless things suh as using different usb port, connecting it directly to the computer, formating it to exFAT, but nothing works! I cant format it to ntfs for some reason. Dane Elec website says it shouldnt be done but i didnt attempt to do this until after the problem started.

Occasionaly a message would come up saying "drive 811ATA/ATAPI has succesfully installed". Also when i was trying to copy a file it said that the volume was dirty and to run chkdsk.

Ive spent days trying to fix this but i cant find any info on it. At the minute im left way a empty 931GB hard drive that i cant put stuff on. Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Have you tried using the HDD in another PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kev Cah

Ya no difference it stayed connected for about 3 minutes was just long enough for me to get important files off it and format the drive

thanks for the fast reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

when you say "connecting it directly to the computer" I assume you mean taking the drive out of the enclosure and plugging it in..yes?

when you say "connecting it directly to the computer" I assume you mean taking the drive out of the enclosure and plugging it in..yes?

yes exactly. There is no difference so its not the usb connection. I think its a problem with the drive itself. It hasnt been dropped or damaged so i dont understand why it wont work

Any advice??

wouldnt happen to be a seagate barricuda would it?

• Advertisement

Its a seagate barracuda lp

Is there problems with them???

wouldnt happen to be a seagate barricuda would it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I never realised that there was a problem with the firmware on the drive itself! downloading the firmware fix now. Hope to God it works!! :D

hope it works.Please let me know how you get on....BUT the firmware update has been known to brick a hd. Sorry but didnt see your post in time!!!!

Advertisement