Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortune favours the brave? Irish Translation

Options
  • 08-07-2011 4:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Is there an existing irish proverb which translates to this or can someone give recommendations on the best way to translate it?

go raibh mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Taobhann an t-ádh leis an laoch

Happens to be the Irish version of my familys motto thingy below the family crest.

Its Audaces fortuna iuvat in Latin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Níor chaill fear an mhisnigh riamh é" is another good one.

"Níor chaill fear an mhisnigh riamh é" is another good one.

What does that translate as? I can only make out man and the courage and never or not

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cronin_j wrote: »
    What does that translate as? I can only make out man and the courage and never or not

"The man of courage never lost" would be a close literal translation. It works for "fortune favours the brave" though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

cool guys! thats great! thanks very much :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

cronin_j wrote: »
    Taobhann an t-ádh leis an laoch

Happens to be the Irish version of my familys motto thingy below the family crest.

Its Audaces fortuna iuvat in Latin

what crest is that?

paky wrote: »
    what crest is that?

Cronin family crest

Advertisement