Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciation.

Options
  • 08-07-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Can anyone please give me an English phonetic pronunciation of the German surname " Böken " ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

This 'ö' can be pronounced by saying the english "e" through closely rounded lips. It does take practise.
    'B' and 'k' in this word Böken are similiar to 'b' and 'k' in english.
    The 'e' is probably pronounced short like the 'e' in the english word 'let'.
    Böken is a family name, thus it could vary from above scheme.

Also: http://www.easy-online-german.com/training_oe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OG Artanis

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Might be telling you something you already know but for posterity, if you have an umlaut it's essentially like an 'e' after the vowel. Would you find it easier to say Boeken, or at least to figure out how to say it?

I used to be good at pronouncing ü but somewhere along the way I lost it. I can do it most of the time but as soon as I have to think about it, it's gone. We have a Frau Müller and a Frau Möller where I work - hate having to pass messages on that involve them. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

John C wrote: »
    Böken is a family name
    So it's not a synonym for Kotzen, as I always thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

rp wrote: »
    So it's not a synonym for Kotzen, as I always thought?

In some regions, they say 'boecken', but that won't be understand by the whole country. And the ''ck' changes the pronunciation, the 'oe' is pronounced shortly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Lars1916 wrote: »
    In some regions, they say 'boecken', but that won't be understand by the whole country. And the ''ck' changes the pronunciation, the 'oe' is pronounced shortly.
    I didn't know that - which regions? I was just making a trite remark as it looked like the Northern Irish dialect word 'boke' - to vomit. Must have some Ur-germanic root.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

rp wrote: »
    I didn't know that - which regions? I was just making a trite remark as it looked like the Northern Irish dialect word 'boke' - to vomit. Must have some Ur-germanic root.

I remember it from North Rhine Westphalia, because you make a sound like that when you throw up

Advertisement