Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics/ Finance Thesis

Options
  • 08-07-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am really hoping someone can help:):):)

Is there anywhere I could go to get one to one, face to face, help with the emperical work on my thesis, idependent to my college???

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Do you mean you're looking for tutorials? Obviously nobody can really help you with your thesis in a directly contributory way.

If you have specific questions, feel free to use this board to ask as many questions as you wish. My own background is economics and finance and I'd be happy to help.

Otherwise, consider making use of notice boards in another academic institution, there are always some broke postgrads floating about and available for grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ms.Bond

Hi
    Thanks for reply,
    Im basically looking for someone who could maybe sit down with me and help with the data collection and the methodology.(paid of course)!! I have finished the literature review and should be fine to write the discussion, if I had some results to discuss!!!
    Was kinda clutching at straws hoping there was some type of grind school or something that provided this.
    I will look at the notice boards though thanks:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

What topic are doing your thesis on? Good data is very important. Have you included empirical studies in your literature review? These studies are generally necessary to have an inclusive literature review and will provide ideas on both data sources and possible methodologies.

You could follow the methodology used in one paper and apply it to another country if the data is available. Otherwise if new data is available, you use this new data and apply the same methodology. Either way it is an original contribution. Even some minor tweaking to methodologies may be sufficient.

Personally I wouldn't bother paying anyone for advise, your supervisor and even boards will give you enough guidance. If your supervisor is proving difficult maybe contact a lecturer you've had who may be more helpful, all you seem to need is some basic guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BarginHunting

The empirical research section of your thesis is extremely important. It is the primary distinguishing factor between degree and masters level. The goal is to add to academic financial research not simply rephrase published journals. However it is not something to be feared.

Useless you have a unique hypothesis and if we assume econometrics is not your strength:

(1) Select journals from your lit review. Spend time understanding the methodology used in that paper.

(2) Collect your own data (perhaps more recent data to see if that papers findings still hold). Finance grads should use Datastream. It is a very simple program but gets more difficult when you require more complex data sets. Alter the data in excel into log form or as required and test for errors in the data. Be more precise and we can give you more specific guidance.

(3) Take the papers methodology. Run regressions using your own data set. Attempt to slightly alter papers methodology to alleviate some failing or use a follow up journals methodology if you can’t.

You don’t need a tutor- it’s all on the net. Just requires a bit of work and yes ask you supervisor plus it shows you him/ her you are putting the work in.

GL

• Advertisement
Advertisement