Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Cards - just for gaming?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 2:31pm

I'm in the process of trying to decide on a laptop. Budget is up to €800.

Do I really need a dedicated graphics card? I'm not into gaming at all. But I would like to do some basic photoshop stuff on the laptop (not 3-D modeling or anything). Also I would like to be able to watch HD (1080p) TV shows and movies, and eventually use the HDMI output to connect to a HD telly or projector.

Is a dedicated GPU necessary for those things? Or could I go with the integrated option and use my budget for other things (like extended warranty, more RAM, etc.)?

Comments

Oh and I should add some light, home-movie editing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If you want to watch 1080p movies at that resolution then your going to want to have a dedicated graphics card to do it. Nothing else will need it, photoshop will run on Integrated graphics. You won't need anything amazing a basic enough GPU should handle HD movies so just get a basic GPU and then the rest can be used to get a better CPU :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

most laptops over 400 euro have a dedicated graphics card anyway

check www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

you are spoilt for choice with that budget anyway

this is nice
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_U53JC-XX149V_1008196.html

Advertisement