Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is internment back?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

She helped dissident scum read out their latest mission statement, anyone who actively helps / supports dissidents can rot in jail as far as I'm concerned. Considering RSF have been linked to the CIRA and still refuse to reject the use of violence, the same can go for Des and Fergal for all I care.

These aren't political prisoners, they're idiots supporting a "cause" nobody wants to see on this island, continuing violence. If they started arresting people who had no link to violent groups, then I'd be getting worried, but I frankly couldn't give a crap for any of these 3.

It took them nearly a year to arrest and prosecute people over the 12th riots last year, relax with the arresting Loyalists statement. If there's none in jail by this time next year, then we there's something certainly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

But legally there is no cause for their arrest at this time, being at a political rally is not an illegal act, therefore their have no right to be arrested.

RSF has been linked to the CIRA, but to say to be a member of one is to be an automatic member of the other is miseducation and sheer ignorance!

I have the Tri-colour, a Wolfe-Tones CD, a bohran and a hurley in my home, and I have looked in the door of RSF's bookshop so I should be arrested and interned!?!?!

It is things like these in the past that have had people thrown into jail without trial, are you saying that is fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

RMD wrote: »
    She helped dissident scum read out their latest mission statement, anyone who actively helps / supports dissidents can rot in jail as far as I'm concerned. Considering RSF have been linked to the CIRA and still refuse to reject the use of violence, the same can go for Des and Fergal for all I care.

These aren't political prisoners, they're idiots supporting a "cause" nobody wants to see on this island, continuing violence. If they started arresting people who had no link to violent groups, then I'd be getting worried, but I frankly couldn't give a crap for any of these 3.

It took them nearly a year to arrest and prosecute people over the 12th riots last year, relax with the arresting Loyalists statement. If there's none in jail by this time next year, then we there's something certainly wrong.

So should they be arresting the wolfetones or rebel bands who sing support for these groups?If people have a belief for something does that entitle you to prison them for this even if they have not carried out any violence?

Your response just verifies my post.

If you you are a member of an organization which supports violence in the North, whether it be Republican or Loyalist, to be quite honest I couldn't care if you're jailed or not. I have no sympathy for anyone who supports violence in the North, that's where my opinion lies.

I also have a tricolour hanging above the computer I write this from, a few Wolfe Tone's song stored on my Itunes, a hurl down in my shed and a signed Dub jersey on the opposite wall. Having "Irish" items in your possession doesn't make you a supporter of violence, if it did a large part of the population could end up "interned".

Re-read my post, I'll quote this part "If they started arresting people who had no link to violent groups I'd be getting worried". As I said, I have no sympathy for anyone who supports or aids dissidents, whether directly or indirectly, and I couldn't care if these 3 end up in jail. Marion Price was holding a statement for a dissident to read out, she was released on license and continued to associate with dissidents, she deserves what she gets as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

@rmd, its all a matter of freedom of speech imo. i dont support thr orange order but they shouldnt be arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Locking people up without a legitimate reason will only fuel these groups. Internment during the 70's was one of the biggest recruiting tools for the IRA. Anyone should be allowed to voice any view whatsoever, so long as they don't act on it. Freedom of speech doesn't exist under British rule. (Or Irish for that matter)

In the case though of Marian Price this isn't just a freedom of speech issue. She's a convicted bomber, released on license who then continued to associate with violent paramilitary groups. Obviously that's going to void her license and rightfully so, if ex-paramilitary members were involved in anyway with dissident groups, they should be locked up straight away IMO as they pose a danger to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Perhaps it is for the best. A police officer might just make it to christmas now and be able to spend time with his family. I don't think too many Nationalists will care about this lot.

Cait has been released,although she is banned from attending protests or marches even though she has not been found guilty of anything.surely this violates her civil and human rights?

Good job PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Perhaps it is for the best. A police officer might just make it to christmas now and be able to spend time with his family. I don't think too many Nationalists will care about this lot.

Yes indeed,it's funny,but even reading of people getting het-up over this feels kinda retro these days.

My own feeling is that the wilder eyed elements on both "sides" of the Northern question have been totally sidestepped by the DEPRESSION.

Now whilst it's true to say that the late 60's and 70's were poorer and still allowed barbarity and thuggery to take over both Loyalism and Republicanism,the BIG difference now is that large chunks of the population of Ireland,North and South have enjoyed a huge improvement in their basic standard of living...the Houses,the Cars,the Holidays,the sense of freedom and wellbeing....none of those were an integral part of working class life back in the Brookeborough days...

Right now,as the very notion of an "Independent" Ireland is being studied far more inquisitively than ever in the past 100 years,the real concerns of the broader Irish church is their ability to weather this economic storm.....

It might be sad for many to accept,but the woe`s of former activists and their being lifted yet again really does`nt engage the minds of the Irish in any great way...Time has left a lot of these folks stranded ...:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Not many Irish are going to be "engaged" by a convicted bomber having her license revoked due to continuing support of dissidents and violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

a few Wolfe Tone's song stored on my Itunes, a

That should be enough go get u arrested alone:D Sure the police had been watching her and theres more than just holding a bit of paper.

getzls wrote: »
    a few Wolfe Tone's song stored on my Itunes, a

That should be enough go get u arrested alone:D Sure the police had been watching her and theres more than just holding a bit of paper.

Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Internment by remand, don't forget that too. INNOCENT people locked up.

It is political policing, and its a disgrace.

Have the Brits learned NOTHING from the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

In the case though of Marian Price this isn't just a freedom of speech issue. She's a convicted bomber, released on license who then continued to associate with violent paramilitary groups. Obviously that's going to void her license and rightfully so, if ex-paramilitary members were involved in anyway with dissident groups, they should be locked up straight away IMO as they pose a danger to society.
    Why haven't loyalist UVF leaders been arrested? They orchestrated sectarian violence, then Robinson met them for a little chat and it all stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wolfe Tone : It is political policing, and its a disgrace.

Have the Brits learned NOTHING from the past?

Perhaps,but the salient point remains that however much this may be percieved as a "disgrace" by those involved in active challenge,the remainder of the general public are not of a mind to get too upset over it.

The daily challenges of earning a living,funding a family and attempting to relax in their free-time are what the Joe Soap's of this island are concerned about.

Whilst the concerns of the opposing factions re the policing of their political activities may be extremely valid,those concerns may be far less valid to the greater mass of the community.

I'm of an era which saw perhaps a dozen black-flag protesters regularly stand across O Connell Bridge at peak-time resulting in massive traffic disruption for Dublin City,nowadays the same protest groupings are restricted to the central median for their protest,which to some eyes could be construed as "political policing" also ?

The survivors,in political terms,of our last era of Political and Social strife are those who recognized the innate ability of the human being to modify and cope with change.

Resisting that change process is a King Canute like process doomed to failure,but managing it from within holds far more chance of success ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Why haven't loyalist UVF leaders been arrested? They orchestrated sectarian violence, then Robinson met them for a little chat and it all stopped.

I don't know Wolfe, but I can assure you I think that is a disgrace and needs to be fixed quickly, the only place they belong is behind bars rather than a government office holding negotiations. It seems double standards still exist in the Northern Irish justice system, that needs to be fixed quickly before the Republicans use it for propaganda.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'm of an era which saw perhaps a dozen black-flag protesters regularly stand across O Connell Bridge at peak-time resulting in massive traffic disruption for Dublin City,nowadays the same protest groupings are restricted to the central median for their protest,which to some eyes could be construed as "political policing" also ?

Why should Joe Soaps day be disturbed because of a tiny protest with little support? It would do more damage their "cause" than it would good as it would piss a lot of people off, similar to when the taxi drivers decided to shut down half the inner city when they deliberately blocked up O'Connell street. It won them no sympathy and pissed a huge number of people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

As is typical of the British, they give in after much needless suffering. Nothing, absolutely nothing learned or gained.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0530/453662-marian-price-northern-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Happyman42 wrote: »
    As is typical of the British, they give in after much needless suffering. Nothing, absolutely nothing learned or gained.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0530/453662-marian-price-northern-ireland/

I haven't seen that picture in that article before and it makes her look more guilty of supporting dissidents than i had previously thought. Anyone who actively supports a group like the RIRA deserves to be locked up for aiding terrorism.

Who knows what other kind of aid and support she could be giving to these groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I haven't seen that picture in that article before and it makes her look more guilty of supporting dissidents than i had previously thought. Anyone who actively supports a group like the RIRA deserves to be locked up for aiding terrorism.

Who knows what other kind of aid and support she could be giving to these groups.

Yes, intern them all, see where that gets us. :rolleyes:

Could you check first that Whitehall is not secretly negoitating with them first though? It's extremely likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I'd say the authorities are keeping an eye on her 24/7. One wrong move and she'll be back in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Advertisement