Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Running this script

Options
  • 08-07-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, any help appreciated
    When I log on to Boards, I get a message.
    Stop running this script?
    A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run youe computer may become unresponsive
    Options yes/no
    So I click on Yes.
    Now when I post a message, and review there are no paragraphs. all the text runs continuously, and my posts appear squashed up
    What's going on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

What's going on is your using Internet Explorer use firefox or Chrome instead.

But if for some reason you like IE
    1. Upgrade it to IE9 if you can.
    2. Has this just started happening to you? Have you came here before in IE and have no issue?

What is actually happening is there is some JavaScript error when you visit the page. When you tick yes you are basically switching off JavaScript for this page so the JavaScript used to do other stuff on boards isn't working either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Thanks for the quick reply.
    This started about a month ago, up till then I had no problem
    Maybe a coincidence, but I use AVG, and this started after an upgrade of that. Not the usual daily update, but the one where you get a message from AVG trying to sell you the non free package,

Probably just a coincidence, unless you have some AVG plugin installed on IE.

My recommendation to switch browser still stands, you should use a different one as they are far better or upgrade IE to IE9 if your not using Windows XP then you can get IE9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

this is most likely caused by AVG, I have seen it before on other machines where errors like this happen. remove avg and install something like avast or microsoft security essentials, 9 times out of 10 this has fixed the issue.

I would advise against telling people to change browsers, alot of people prefer their own browser to others, maybe he has a reason for using IE

I can think of two reasons to use IE.
    1. To get content from Microsoft that requires you to use IE.
    2. To annoy web developers.

IE is a truely terribly browser it's compliance with latest standards is abysmal they prefer to make up their own, although it has improved vastly with IE9 hence I also recommended upgrading to the latest version which does fix a lot of issues although I have no idea if it would fix this one or not as I never encountered it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You normally get this message if there is something wrong with the Jscript that is causing it to take a long time to run often due to recursion calls or traversing a complicated dom.

If this happens every time I would suggest trying a post under Sys->help Desk on boards.

Maybe something has changed on boards that is only affecting certain browser types/versions or maybe there is something about your username/permissions that is causing an issue.

If I was a boards developer I would like to know what causes this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take a screenshot
    Save it to img.ie
    Post it here

biko wrote: »
    Take a screenshot
    Save it to img.ie
    Post it here

Thank you for your reply.However it assumes a far higher knowledge of the workings of a Computer, than this eejit posessesI only found this Forum having been directed by a Mod elsewhere, as I mentioned my problem in a thread.So if you could be so kind as to post in simple terms what you suggest, prefefably with pictures, I would be eternally grateful.

Sure, a "screenshot" is a snapshot of what's on your computer's screen.
    This way we can what you see and help better.

To create a screenshot follow these steps:
    The first step is to create the windows that you want to capture and leave them up on the screen.
    Just to the right of your keyboard, you should see three groups of keys. The lower set of keys usually is a group of arrow keys. Above that is usually a set of some six keys that are labeled "Insert," "Home," "Page Up," etc. Above that should be three keys that have rather odd labels - like Pause/Break and ScrLk. One of those keys should be labeled PrtScrn/SysRq. Pressing Alt-PrintScreen (Alt-PrtScrn) places an image of the frontmost window on the clipboard. Pressing PrintScreen by itself places an image of the entire desktop on the clipboard.

Open MS-Paint. (From Start/Run, issue the command "mspaint".) Create a new empty image, and use Edit/Paste to bring in the screenshot you just took. (If the screenshot is smaller than the default Paint canvas, you will end up with white areas. Start over: create a new empty image, change its dimensions to 1x1, and Paste again. The canvas will grow for the Paste, but it doesn't shrink.)
    Use MS-Paint to Save As, using PNG as the file format.

When you post here next time look for the Manage Attachments button, this will let you attach an image.
    The button is located on the same page as the reply box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The last time that I ever got a script error with IE was when I used an earlier version of Avanquest SystemSuite. It installed an unnecessary add-on in IE, and when I disabled it, the error never appeared again.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Sure, a "screenshot" is a snapshot of what's on your computer's screen.
    This way we can what you see and help better.

To create a screenshot follow these steps:
    The first step is to create the windows that you want to capture and leave them up on the screen.
    Just to the right of your keyboard, you should see three groups of keys. The lower set of keys usually is a group of arrow keys. Above that is usually a set of some six keys that are labeled "Insert," "Home," "Page Up," etc. Above that should be three keys that have rather odd labels - like Pause/Break and ScrLk. One of those keys should be labeled PrtScrn/SysRq. Pressing Alt-PrintScreen (Alt-PrtScrn) places an image of the frontmost window on the clipboard. Pressing PrintScreen by itself places an image of the entire desktop on the clipboard.

Open MS-Paint. (From Start/Run, issue the command "mspaint".) Create a new empty image, and use Edit/Paste to bring in the screenshot you just took. (If the screenshot is smaller than the default Paint canvas, you will end up with white areas. Start over: create a new empty image, change its dimensions to 1x1, and Paste again. The canvas will grow for the Paste, but it doesn't shrink.)
    Use MS-Paint to Save As, using PNG as the file format.

When you post here next time look for the Manage Attachments button, this will let you attach an image.
    The button is located on the same page as the reply box.

Thanks for reply and your patience.

Hope what I am attaching is what you described

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Perhaps the AVG toolbar, or another add-on is causing the problem. Try running Internet Explorer with no add-ons first to see if that fixes the problem.

To temporarily disable all add-ons, click the Start button, click Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Navigate to the webpage that's giving you problems and see if the message appears again. :)

Perhaps the AVG toolbar, or another add-on is causing the problem. Try running Internet Explorer with no add-ons first to see if that fixes the problem.

To temporarily disable all add-ons, click the Start button, click Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Navigate to the webpage that's giving you problems and see if the message appears again. :)

That's it, thanks.

Did what you suggested and problem sorted.

So do I continue to use IE with no add-ons, for browsing the Web.

Any issues with that?

and the smilies are working again.

Glad it was sorted.
    You can disable add-ons or remove them.
    A bit more info here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-add-ons-frequently-asked-questions
    Look for section "How can I disable a browser add-on?"

Advertisement