Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to hear the Corncrake

Options
  • 08-07-2011 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All nature lovers . I would love to hear the corncrake this summer . any know where is the best place to visit or are they still in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Fairly sure your best bet would be the Erris Belmullet peninsula in Mayo, there have been sightings in other areas in Mayo (Achill, Foxford) however they were more than likely enroute to Belmullet where the breed... HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Tory Island is supposed to be a great spot to hear and even see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

Shannon callows if there are any still left. Inisbofin or one of the other islands off galway might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

There were only two calling males last year (2010) on the Shannon Callows. The situation there is catastophic there and they will not survive there (IMO). I heard 11 calling males on the Shannon Callows and a male in flight in 2003 and now they are gonesad0018.gif.

There are presently two calling males in the Birdwatch Ireland Corncrake reserve in Glebe (Belmullet) and a further 4 calling males in the surrounding area of Termoncarragh. Corncrakes call more at night so an evening visit will be more productive than visiting during the day.

Tory Island would be a good spot to hear them.

Corncrakes are calling now, but it would be difficult to see them now. The meadows are too tall at the moment. They only enter hay meadows when the grass length is> 20cm. Early in the season when the meadows are shorter and when they are restricted to early cover patches (like nettles, yellow iris and cowparsley) they are easier to see.

At the moment Corncrake have chicks on foot, so it is vital not to enter meadows where males corncrake are calling. Corncrakes are extremely shy so any disturbance to meadow could lead to failure of nests. 90% of females with young are located within 100 metres of a calling males. Do not let dogs run in the corncrake meadows and do not play any tape lures. The Corncrakes in Glebe (Belmullet) can safely be heard from the road beside the meadow so the corncrakes will not be disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There are a number of calling males ATM near Rosses point in Co. Sligo:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

There definitely at least one calling on Inisbofin this year. I'm hoping to get out there to get a listen/recording next week if the weather hold up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Liam C Ryan

Thanks to everybody for your guidance , Will pay a visit to Mayo and if I need, a trip to Tory. I will abide by all your guidelines and would be very pleased just to hear a Corncrake. I grew up beside a hurling field in Boherlahan Cashel Co Tipp and every evening during July we would see and hear the corncrake in the field the last time I heard the bird was more than 40 years ago.
    Regards
    Liam C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cherrieblossom

i used to hear it on the river lennon callows when i lived in donegal, very very noisy creature it used to like to go for a walk also along the edge of the lane near the house , I thought that this was very strange, it was in the kilmacrennan area, it is really a wonderful memory as I uased to hear it as a child out the lee fields too in cork , best of luck hearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

If visiting Tory Island then it might be worth to pay Arranmore Island a visit also. Last Year there was around three as far as I know and there is definately one this year, I heard it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

• Advertisement
Advertisement