Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits Of Rooting?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Is there any point in rooting a HTC Desire HD? It seems fairly well equipped already. What would the benefits of rooting it be? Would it largely be a waste of time? I like computer programming and the like and am reasonably comfortable and familiar with using Linux on my laptop. But is there any point to doing it with the Desire HD?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The main advantage of rooting is the ability to install a custom ROM. ROMs like Android Revolution HD and Leedroid HD look identical to the stock ROM you have installed at the moment, but have lots more going under the hood to supercharge your phone - smoother operation, longer battery, updated kernels, improved drivers, crap apps removed, operator branding removed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

There are also more powerful apps available for rooted phones, like Titanium Backup, JuiceDefender and SetCPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

While there are many advantages, rooting would get rid of the HTC sense UI... As a fellow HTC user (Wildfire) I would not recommend it

There are at least 10 Froyo Sense ROMs and 1 Gingerbread Sense Rom for Wildfire.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1029318

Most (if not all) HTC Sense phones have custom Sense ROMs.

Besides, launchers like Go Launcher EX and Launcher Pro are better than Sense (IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

I have a HTC HD and would love to have the ability to remove all the crap apps that are standard, one problem though, im a thick when it comes to technology.

Is it possible to bring your phone somewhere to be rooted? and if you can what type of monies would one have to hand over? and finally is there any risks if you root,ie could my phone end up in the next Transformers film?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    There are at least 10 Froyo Sense ROMs and 1 Gingerbread Sense Rom for Wildfire.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1029318

Most (if not all) HTC Sense phones have custom Sense ROMs.

Besides, launchers like Go Launcher EX and Launcher Pro are better than Sense (IMO)

Fair point but are they really as good as sense you get with the phone?

bungler wrote: »
    Is it possible to bring your phone somewhere to be rooted? and if you can what type of monies would one have to hand over? and finally is there any risks if you root,ie could my phone end up in the next Transformers film?

I'd imagine the dodgy phone unlocking shops that you see in streets would do it for the same price as an iPhone jailbreak
    bungler wrote: »
    and finally is there any risks if you root,ie could my phone end up in the next Transformers film?

Yes there is a risk of completely bricking your phone... The next transformers film is already released so I doubt your phone would make an appearance in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

While there are many advantages, rooting would get rid of the HTC sense UI... As a fellow HTC user (Wildfire) I would not recommend it

Why would it get rid of the Sense UI? Can you not root the device without changing the ROM?

Rooting does not remove sense (it just reduces security on your phone).

Rooting leads to a ROM change though - it's the main reason for rooting. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Rooting does not remove sense (it just reduces security on your phone).

Rooting leads to a ROM change though - it's the main reason for rooting. :)

What he said :)

Advertisement