Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugely Important - Have a Look at this Website

Options
  • 07-07-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/

I dont know about you guys, but I missed all these recent programmes and radio interviews.

Some of the stories (Irish ones) are very worrying for our cause.
    Basically we have been told to "f-ck off" by the minister for children Francis Fitzgerald

Frances Fitzgerald: “...I think you can bring in tracing legislation, I think probably not historic, not going backwards but from current best practice going forward that the child would have access you know, for example, to birth certs, to detailed information.”

Pat Kenny: “But there’s no question of changing historical traceability because Ireland is a very small country and a lot of the time in the past we know that adoptions were made for reasons of family shame and all the rest of it…”

Frances Fitzgerald: “Exactly. I think that would be very difficult and there will be people who will be very disappointed hearing that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Frances Fitzgerald also recently gave a written answer to a Dail question about tracing.
    See Kildarestreet.com - http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-06-28.1760.0&s=tracing+rights#g1761.0.q

Olivia Mitchell (Dublin South, Fine Gael)

Question 449: To ask the Minister for Health his plans to legislate for the tracing rights of adopted children, particularly those adopted in the 1950, 1960s and 1970s; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [17353/11]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Children; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

Legislation to provide for information and tracing is in preparation within my department and is a priority. This is a sensitive and complex area, and it will be necessary for the legislation to balance the constitutional rights of mothers whose children were adopted with those of adopted people seeking to trace their birth families.

Advertisement