Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle with an eye infection?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm hoping there's someone here who knows a bit about turtles! we have 2 turtles and one seems to have developed a bit of an eye problem. Apparently one eye is fine but the other is all swollen, the eyelid has turned white and theres a bit of skin hanging off. He seems able to see but is keeping the eye closed alot and my sister claims he's sleeping more than usual. Is there anything we can do? He's relatively friendly so I reckon we'd have a decent shot at dropping medicine into his eye before he goes into his shell. Was thinking of bringing him to a vet, but (a) I wouldn't say there's too many vets in Kildare with a knowledge of turtles and (b) if he goes into his shell, it'll be a wasted trip. The water in the tank was changed 10 days ago and is quite clean and the other turtle is grand.
    We're not 100% sure what type of turtle he is, he was sold as a yellow-bellied slider but my sister has just sent me a pic of a Florida red-belly that looks exactly like him....
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sounds like it might be a fungal infection of some sort..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

The water in the tank should be changed a lot more often than this, especially now that there's an infection.

Vet-wise, your best bet is John Bainbridge in Dundrum.

As for home-treatment, you can get turtle eye drops in most pet shops, but this may not do the trick at this stage.

What size is the tank and what size is the turtle? Is there a UV light, basking area and heat lamp or what way is it set up?

Eye infections are a common side effect of dirty water... Best of luck!

Advertisement