Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just ate a few cat nuggets...

Options
  • 07-07-2011 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

They are ridiculously salty!!! I feel sorry for her. Do cats need a lot of salt in their diets?!

It was Whiskas nuggets with Tuna if anyone is wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

TBH I wouldnt feed your cat Whiskas as it's the same as feeding your child Mc Donalds everyday. I personally wouldnt feed anything that lists meat derivitives as it's first ingredient.
    I feed applaws, sometimes orijen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Turkana

Ok I don't live in beverly hills... whiskas is the poshest stuff she'll get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I've heard that there's no evidence that salt is bad for cats and dogs, but I really don't know how true that is, and that if they have a lot of salt then it encourages them to drink more water, which is good for them. But I don't know if that's true, I think I heard that from a dog food company . . . ?

Do you buy small bags of Whiskas or big bags? Because buying big bags of a more expensive/healthier cat food might be cheaper than buying Whiskas in 2kg bags :)

Turkana wrote: »
    Ok I don't live in beverly hills... whiskas is the poshest stuff she'll get!

You can pick up a better supermarket brand for little more. Also better quality food means you feed less. It works out at almost the same cost per day. The applaws for example costs me 80 euro for 15kgs. I have 9 cats and this lasts me more than 2 months. And I certainly don't live in Beverly hills either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's nothing to do with feeding them "posh" food, just decent quality. Any cat I've ever had that ate Whiskas had a sick tummy after it (lots of cats that were taken in unannounced after living on Whiskas or showed up at our door to be looked after and the local shop only had Whiskas), and it's expensive as they go, I buy my dry cat food (Royal Canin, because it's good and my cat likes it, not to be posh or anything) in bulk online, works out so much cheaper and I only have to order it twice a year instead of paying a small fortune to the local supermarket to buy poor quality food. But even Lidl/Aldi dry food would probably work out better than Whiskas, it's just a brand name really, like thinking McDonald's was better for you than a local chipper because of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I feed my cats Lidl and Aldi dry catfood with a little canned food mixed through it. They seem to enjoy it, they are fine big healthy cats with beautiful coats.

I have never tasted it myself though, and I admire the bravery of anyone who would taste catfood - the smell of it is bad enough!

I also have 2 dogs who eat Lidl dry dogfood every day. They also are very healthy with good teeth and shiny coats. I add a shot of olive oil and an egg to their food so maybe that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have to ask though, why did you eat the cat food?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

They are ridiculously salty!!! I feel sorry for her. Do cats need a lot of salt in their diets?!

It was Whiskas nuggets with Tuna if anyone is wondering.

While I agree with all of the posts above and I never feed Whiskas (I use www.husse.ie).

Is anyone going to address the two major issues here? Nobody has answered OP's question.

1. Yes cats need very specific types of minerals (including salts) and enzymes and that is why cats should never be fed dog food.

2. Are you pregnant and/or in severe financial difficulty? What on earth made you start muching away on Whiskas like it was popcorn chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I wonder if it's salty to encourage the cat to drink more? Cats generally don't drink as much as dogs or other animals. If they were in the wild they would be living on birds and mice, etc and would get their fluid intake that way, likewise the wet cat food provides them with some of their flluid intake.

I can remember when I was little being at a neighbours farm and tucking happily into the nuts they feed the cows while they're being milked! God only knows what I was eating but it doesn't seem to have done me any harm! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

One of the biggest killers of cats in later years is kidney failure, which is linked to high blood pressure. Therefore, I'd be very wary of feeding any food with lots of salt in it. There are better ways to encourage your cat to drink more (water fountains and mixing extra water into food for example) than adding high salt to the food! Sugar is also not good for cats teeth, but Whiskas put it in their food, it has a lot to do with the taste and nothing with what's good for the cat!

I actually researched salt in cat food quite a bit earlier this year as I had to find a low salt food for one of my cats after she was diagnosed with a heart condition. I eventually settled on the Grau tins from Zooplus (after much pfaffing about with converting wet sodium weights into dry weights etc.) as it was the lowest salt non kidney diet food I could find for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Just a quick point of the "beverly hills" comment.

I have 3 cats, at the beginning i fed them whiskas because it seemed like te cheaper option and i didnt know better.

I now feed them iams dry food. Its 50 euro for a massive sack of it.

Now before you think 50 euro is a lot consider this.

When my cats ate whiskas they ate often and ate a lot, they pooped constantly and by jesus the smell was rotten.

I switched them to iams, they eat less as its higher in vitamins so they arnt hungry so often. They dont crap nearly as much either.

End of the day. I Saved a good bit of money every month on cat food and my house doesnt constantly smell like cat ****.

So the food that seems more expensive actually isnt more expensive and is better for you're cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    Lol I was thinking the same thing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I just checked the ingredients of Gocat, and salt isn't listed. Unless it's under 'minerals', which comes last on the list and would be the lowest ingredient. Wish I could taste it, but I'm veggie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Turkana

ISDW wrote: »

I'm on the dole.

By the way where can I order cheap cat food online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm on the dole.

By the way where can I order cheap cat food online?

What? Lots of people are on the dole and don't eat cat food, its too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check out the zooplus.ie as well, I was ordering from the UK site for a long time but it's now working out cheaper...sometimes..to order from the .ie site now.
    Sometimes a better quality food works out cheaper if you buy bigger bags it's just a matter of shopping around and seeing what suits and what your cat likes.

Cats are very prone esp. as they get older to kidney problems so can imagine salt can affect them long term. Saying that have had twin cats years ago, same diet back then there was only Whiskas or Homestead and a few other brands..Homestead made them sick it was rotten stuff but they were generally fed go-cat and whiskas. The boy died when he was just a few years old..kidney failure, the girl lived till she was 18. Sometimes it's in the genes.
    Saying that have to feed my dogs expensive Burns because they get the squits with all other food..so far..still trying to find a cheaper but good quality brand that suits but so far no luck.

I used to feed foster cats Burns cat food, you can get it in big bags and if you work it out day by day it's cheap enough and their poo smells sooooo much better.

As the others said zooplus is good.,they sometimes have good deals. I tend to put by a few quid each week and then put in an order. Free delivery too. As I said it costs me about 10 euro a week to feed 9 cats the applaws chicken. I don't free feed mine, they get their allocated amount twice a day. They also get various wet food as a treat.
    Low sodium is fine in the diet bit too much is bad for the kidneys especially if you have one with kidney problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

So which one of the wet foods on Zooplus is best? I have 2 indoor cats who were fed only Hill's dry for years but I changed them to wet food only (Felix) earlier this year.

I didn't realise Felix was the equivalent of junk food, so what's best?

So which one of the wet foods on Zooplus is best? I have 2 indoor cats who were fed only Hill's dry for years but I changed them to wet food only (Felix) earlier this year.

Everyone will probably have different preferences. I like the applaws wet too.
    I use Felix wet for queens who are feeding along with a high quality food and also for a cat that might be underweight along with good dry. Felix wet is not the worst if fed with a decnt dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

If you feed them wet food, I would mix some dry food in with it too, because if they only have wet food they can get really bad teeth :)

All my cats but one get dry food and have perfect teeth, but one cat gets fed by the neighbours so he got really bad teeth and had to get loads removed, but now he eats dry food :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

After much research, I decided on the Bozita (from Swededn who have strict laws about what goes into their food) for everyday, as it isn't the best but is the best affordable wet food I could find! The Applaws wet food isn't a balanced diet and they tell you on the packet it's only to be fed as a supplement. Porta 21 do really nice canned food which is as good as the Applaws and cheaper, but like the Applaws it all comes from Thailand, who have really dodgy factory farming practices. Most of the super premium foods is product of Thailand.

My cats also get Orijen or Acana grasslands kibble for in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I just ate a few cat nuggets...

Going by the thread title, my first thought was suspicious 'white' meat in asia... :eek:

like chicken nuggets... but not.... chicken... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have to agree with the poster that feeds Bozita, and my cats love it!
    I feed with wet once a day and dry left out all day. I also feed some raw bits and pieces too. I pack of bozita does feed 2 cats. Ingredients look good, its very moist and as I said cats love it.
    It even smells good.
    Works out very cheap, and I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Just ordered Bozita along with Catsan litter from Zooplus.

Pretty decent saving on the Catsan anyway; Tesco have been upping their price and it's become pretty expensive, so they can feck off! :D

Advertisement