Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dometic fridge on blink

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Greetings from a very cool windy and gloomy Biarritz.
    Dometic fridge has started beeping and flashing at LCD.
    Switched to gas and all fine,on AV it picks gas.
    All other electrics seem fine in van.
    Is it a fuse???
    If weather picks up fridge will be needed so any help appreciated:rolleyes:
    T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Are you parked on the level?. Mine started doing strange things last year and sorted when I levelled the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If the site voltage goes below 195 volts (I think) the fridge will look for an alternative supply, hence when switched to auto (which mine always is) it goes for gas.

A low voltage is not uncommon on a site, particularly if the wiring is a bit on the light side and a lot of 'vans are pulling a lot of power, like when it's cold ;).

BTW if your're close to the supply socket and you have a long cable still coiled up, that can cause a voltage drop too, it's best to unwind it all and spread it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

niloc1951 wrote: »

BTW if your're close to the supply socket and you have a long cable still coiled up, that can cause a voltage drop too, it's best to unwind it all and spread it out a bit.

Won't prevent voltage drop as it still has to travel the same length of cable, but will prevent the possibility of over heating as the cable won't be coiled round and round itself in many layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Won't prevent voltage drop as it still has to travel the same length of cable, but will prevent the possibility of over heating as the cable won't be coiled round and round itself in many layers.

Coiling an electric cable increases its impedance, that's why it gets hot (the power has to push harder to get through the cable), this will reduce the voltage at the end of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

here2surf wrote: »
    Greetings from a very cool windy and gloomy Biarritz.
    Dometic fridge has started beeping and flashing at LCD.
    Switched to gas and all fine,on AV it picks gas.
    All other electrics seem fine in van.
    Is it a fuse???
    If weather picks up fridge will be needed so any help appreciated:rolleyes:
    T.

what model? the 8550 or similar? the beep often is associated with the door-closed sensor being a bit wonky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Just landed home!

Once again thanks for help everyone.

I think the problem arose from having a socket board with a load of DS's laptops etc plugged in to one of the vans sockets which looks like it pulls from the hookup before current gets to the fridge.

When i disconnected some of the rechargables, the fridge kicked back in.Failing that, it was a campsite with a lower voltage.

Problem didn't arise again over 10 more sites.

Couldnt reply earlier as the sites I visited this year were crazy prices for wi-fi.

Thanks

H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

here2surf wrote: »
    .......with a load of DS's laptops etc plugged in to.....
    Hmmm....... do we have a WOLlie on board?:)

Advertisement