Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aon/Quinn Assessments...does it expire?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hiya Folks, im going away for a year and im thinking of doing an Aon/Quinn Assessments with Dave Lyons(passed my test with him so no reason to change). now, as i wont be biking for a year and i probably wont do as well on the assessment then, hence want to do it now. Thing is some people say it has an expiration date (2-3 years) apparently, is this true?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hiya Folks, im going away for a year and im thinking of doing an Aon/Quinn Assessments with Dave Lyons(passed my test with him so no reason to change). now, as i wont be biking for a year and i probably wont do as well on the assessment then, hence want to do it now. Thing is some people say it has an expiration date (2-3 years) apparently, is this true?

Cheers

yes, like no claims bonus it expires if unused for 2 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sorry to jump on this thread, but is there a significant different in cost in having / not having an assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

ironclaw wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on this thread, but is there a significant different in cost in having / not having an assessment?

Basically yes!

Initial outlay will be made back after a few years in your insurance premuim. Some companies will not insure you without one but this depends on your age and on the bike you want to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

ironclaw wrote: »
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    Basically yes!

Initial outlay will be made back after a few years in your insurance premuim. Some companies will not insure you without one but this depends on your age and on the bike you want to insure.

as above, but in fact I got my money back straight away, the assessment cost me 170 and I received a 200 euro reduction on my premium...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

How had is it to get a grade 2? would 3 hours of lessons be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hard one to call, similar to being asked how long a piece of string is!

Depends on factors like how much experience you have, if you received training before, how confident you are on the bike, how good you are at cornering, do you understand the Vanishing Point and the need to position yourself on the road to get a larger VP?

The list goes on and on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In my case, as a long term cager but novice biker, I got my grade2 after about 10 hours training on a school bike. I would be bold enough to say I had an aptitiude for it though. If you're an experienced biker and you learn quickly and can break those old habits, I'd imagine someone getting through the workload in half the time. It can take some time to really drill the new routines into you, though.

In my case, AON wouldn't quote me without the grade 2. They charged me a reasonable sum after I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Dragging up an old thread, but relevant I think. Does anyone know if the reduction is passed down on an existing policy? So if I get insured today, and get the assessment next week - will this reduction be applied to the policy? Or is it tough luck until renewal time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I recently asked quinn for a quote, but because my assessment was done in 2008 they wouldnt give me the discount. I explained that I have been riding and had insurance continously sine then they still werent happy. They said I need the assessment every 2 years. So I have to spend 200/300 every 2 years to save 50.
    So went with adelaide instead.

Advertisement