Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carafoam

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I'm hoping to use it in a recipe for making a Pilsner at some point. I've seen it in American recipes and was wondering can it be got or something equivalent from an irish site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Carafoam is meant to be pretty similar to carapils. promotes head retention and body. I made a pilsner myself over the winter and it turned out really well. It had pilsner malt,carapils and saaz hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Cheers mayto, I'll sub in a bit of that so. Can you give me a bit more detail on the hop schedule you used if you wrote it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

This is the recipe for a Bohemian Pilsner I did, 27L batch. I actually used brewferm lager yeast, 2 packs and was very happy with how it turned out. I fermented at 10C for about three weeks and lagered at close to 0 C for a month after that. Wish I had some left:), will do a few next winter.
    Category: Pilsner
    Subcategory: Bohemian Pilsener
    Recipe Type: All Grain
    Batch Size: 27 L
    Volume Boiled: 27.01 L
    Mash Efficiency: 80 %
    Total Grain/Extract: 5.75 kg
    Total Hops: 173.6 g
    Ingredients
    5.35 kg Pilsner Malt
    0.4 kg Weyermann Carapils®/Carafoam®
    47.58 g Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
    59.47 g Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 30 minutes.
    33.3 g Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 10 minutes.
    33.3 g Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 0 minutes.
    Yeast: Fermentis S-23 Saflager S-23

Advertisement