Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK microchip

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got my dog chipped at a vet who is from NI but also has a practice in the south.

I was given the forms to fill in and have sent them off with the chip no. etc.

The forms were from 'petprotect.co.uk., although I have contacted 'fido', they say they have never heard of them.

Will I now need to register the chip with 'fido' also or are there other Irish databases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

There are other irish databases, IKC has one, so does Canine Ireland, maybe DSPCA too?

But to be honest I think Fido are the best, you can register any chip with them, you always get a reply and they're easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Agree, register with Fido. IKC are incredibly difficult to deal with if you have found a dog with one of their chips in it and I wouldn't bother with CI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Me and my friend found a dog recently and brought it to the vet and it had a microchip. And we found the Fido website very difficult to use. The vet was the one using it but she said there was nowhere you could write in the number of the microchip and there was no phone number to call either.

I think she went onto the Animark website then and put in the number and it said the number was found on the IKC register and the DSPCA register and then she called the IKC who were really helpful and found out the breeder's name and address and the dog's registered name.

The new owner hadn't registered the chip, that's why the breeder's name came up only, but in the end we found the owner :)

My dog is registered with Fido and that was easy to do, but it worries me that if someone finds her then it might be hard for them to find me, since the website is apparently so hard to use . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Your vet must not have been registered with FIDO as you need to be registered to type in a number, the same as you have to be registered to type in a number on the Animark site.

Most places just use the http://www.europetnet.com database which will tell you if the chip in the dog is a FIDO or Animark one and will give you details on how to proceed from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Me and my friend found a dog recently and brought it to the vet and it had a microchip. And we found the Fido website very difficult to use. The vet was the one using it but she said there was nowhere you could write in the number of the microchip and there was no phone number to call either.

I think she went onto the Animark website then and put in the number and it said the number was found on the IKC register and the DSPCA register and then she called the IKC who were really helpful and found out the breeder's name and address and the dog's registered name.

The new owner hadn't registered the chip, that's why the breeder's name came up only, but in the end we found the owner :)

My dog is registered with Fido and that was easy to do, but it worries me that if someone finds her then it might be hard for them to find me, since the website is apparently so hard to use . . .

The Fido website is incredibly easy to use, but as Toulouse says, you have to be registered with them to check microchips, really surprised that your vet isn't, they're also obviously not registered with the animark one, if they had to phone the IKC to get the details. Our vets are registered with both and so can access the full records. Do they not do microchipping at that surgery?:confused:

I would definitely recommend getting the chip registered with Fido OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have to agree with the others, it does sound like your vet isn't registered with the database companies, fido is very easy to use and if you're registered with the IKC database the details come straight up and you don't have to ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

batman1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got my dog chipped at a vet who is from NI but also has a practice in the south.

I was given the forms to fill in and have sent them off with the chip no. etc.

The forms were from 'petprotect.co.uk., although I have contacted 'fido', they say they have never heard of them.

Will I now need to register the chip with 'fido' also or are there other Irish databases?

I had both my dogs chipped while I lived in the UK, so when I brought them over here we went off down to the vet who read their chips and stamped a form which I then sent off to Fido. Cost me 12 euro each and now they are registered both here and in the UK :D

Advertisement