Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Bill Pay

Options
  • 07-07-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I ported my number from Vodafone PAYG to Meteor bill pay today. I went with the €30/mth plan for 18mths & hTC Desire S phone.

Now I'm in the middle of my billing period (aka pro-rata), and I've checked my data balance and it's gone from 1GB (agreed allowence per month) to 590.11.

Is this normal or am I running something in the backround thats using up my allowence? I haven't set up my wi-fi at home yet, would this reduce the amount it uses as it would be going through broadband and not 3g???

I'm really confused about it and obviously don't want to have used almost half my monthly allowence in 1 day! I've broused the phone, apps and widgets but just general, e-mail, twitter, facebook and news apps only.....

If anyone can shed some light, I'd really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Sounds normal to me.

Because you are in the middle of the billing period they will give you half of the data allowance, this should also effect your minutes and texts.

And to answer your question yes using the wifi will not effect your 3G data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mrs2012

Thanks a million for your reply.

You've put my mind at ease as I thought I'd never last a month sticking to that plan!

Would you know if the app Handcent SMS actually works and is completely free?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 eire27

** msg from mod (random) **
    hi eire27, use - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323806
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Sounds normal to me.

Because you are in the middle of the billing period they will give you half of the data allowance, this should also effect your minutes and texts.

And to answer your question yes using the wifi will not effect your 3G data.
    Careful now! The phone uses WiFi while it's not in standby. Once it goes into standby, the WiFi is turned off and any apps that continue to use data will go through the mobile network instead and this will use your data allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Kensington wrote: »
    Careful now! The phone uses WiFi while it's not in standby. Once it goes into standby, the WiFi is turned off and any apps that continue to use data will go through the mobile network instead and this will use your data allowance.

This is a bit misleading. You are talking about wifi sleep - seperate from phone sleep/standby. Switching to 3g only happens when your wifi sleep policy is not set to 'never', 'never' being the default setting afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 minlan

Re: Handcent SMS

It's free but ad-supported. There is a paid option which is ad-free and offers more functionality but I haven't tried it. The ad-supported version works well and the ads aren't too intrusive or annoying. It's much better than the stock android sms app in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

alanucc wrote: »
    This is a bit misleading. You are talking about wifi sleep - seperate from phone sleep/standby. Switching to 3g only happens when your wifi sleep policy is not set to 'never', 'never' being the default setting afaik.
    I don't think it is, unless later versions of Android have changed this behaviour.
    On my previous HTC Hero (up to 2.1) and a Samsung Galaxy Europa, as soon as the phone has been locked after a couple of minutes, the WiFi radio turns off and the cellular data, if activated, then kicks in and you'll be charged accordingly. This was the default behaviour.

Advertisement