Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chandlers(blue bottle maggots)

Options
  • 07-07-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

where can u buy chandlers in wicklow or south dublin?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Southside Angling
    Rorys Fishing Tackle
    Tallaght Rod & Gun
    Possibly Bray Anging (not sure but you could call them)
    Possibly Courtown Angling (same story)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Angling shop in Dún Laoghaire, phone him first to make sure he has them but he normally does, Eddie is the chaps name

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Bray and dun laoghaire dont sell maggots any more, southside would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Chandlers... Is it me or is that just a Dublin name for maggots??
    Only really hear Dubs calling them Chandlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Not sure, but I do know I hate when people call them that, they are MAGGOTS, I wonder where the other name came from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Not sure where the word came from but as kids we always called them chandlers in Kildare. In later years they became maggots.. they weren't available to buy locally then but a local angler used to breed his own by tying a piece of meat to an overhanging branch on the canal. when he needed maggots he just put a tub underneath is and shook it..

It was always a fantastic spot and was prebaited with falling maggots most of the year.

They were of course white maggots ... no fancy red ones then :)

Old name. I don't know if it's Dublin origin or not ,but the name was used in the Dublin area.
    Back then bait meant worm, cheese, paste, crust, corbait and chandlers
    From the same era, can anybody tell me what corbait was? HehHeh.

(PS No googling ... google doesn't have it ! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

ok i'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that chandlers is another 17th century word that mainstream English has lost but that Hiberno English has maintained.

my tendentious explanation is that each seaport had a chandlery selling not just ropes and goods but also biscuits and dried meat. And occasionally the biscuits and meats would be in storage for so long that maggots would appear and the stock would be sold off cheaply.

well, what do you think?

btw one of my earliest memories was buying bags of chandlers for 5p from a shop in Drogheda on a street called Shop St and walking home across a bridge that no longer exists and feeling them wriggle in my hand. they were definitely called chandlers in Drogheda in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

your some cur! meaning some mongrel, kept for rat hunting, possibly larger mammals?

therefore corbait is bait used for rats, foxes, badgers, even deer?

am i way off the mark?

You might have a good point there about the ships chandlers selling rotten biscuits Doc, I suspect you are right about the origin of the name.

But not on corbait.
    No takers? :rolleyes:

It was a local name given to the cased caddis pupa, the "stick insect", or larval form of the sedge flies.
    They could be found by foraging on the rocks of the river bed, then carefully withdrawn from their stony tube case and fished for trout or coarse fish.
    I used them once for stream trout, deep hooked a small one which died, and never put them on a hook since.
    They were popular among some trout anglers at the time along with docken grubs. (Dig up a few dock plants and you find a fat maggot living off the roots).

• Advertisement
Advertisement