Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on a beach - is it allowed?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any restrictions about camping on beaches in Ireland if there are no signs up to say "no camping"? Am thinking of heading away for a night to west or north west in august but dont want a camp site and want to be beside the sea (wind depending)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

neris wrote: »
    Are there any restrictions about camping on beaches in Ireland if there are no signs up to say "no camping"? Am thinking of heading away for a night to west or north west in august but dont want a camp site and want to be beside the sea (wind depending)

I'd say as long as you pitch at dusk and are packed away early enough the following morning, you should be OK. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There is a thread here on an angling board about the issue. AFAIK (and I am no law surgeon) you can only own land down as far as the spring tide high tide mark. Below that it is public property. How wise it would be to camp below the tide line and how you get onto a beach without passing through private land is left as an exercise to the reader.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

cavedave wrote: »
    There is a thread here on an angling board about the issue. AFAIK (and I am no law surgeon) you can only own land down as far as the spring tide high tide mark. Below that it is public property. How wise it would be to camp below the tide line and how you get onto a beach without passing through private land is left as an exercise to the reader.

Well, twice a day it would be a really damp squib... ;)

Advertisement