Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to building!

Options
  • 07-07-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im interested in getting a PC built for me but I have not got a clue what way to go about it. I have heard of some sites and I see all of the products but I can't make head nor tail of it! My budget is €500!
    I don't need windows 7, a keyboard, a mouse or a monitor.
    Any one help me out? Cheers people!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

pepper180 wrote: »
    Hi, Im interested in getting a PC built for me but I have not got a clue what way to go about it. I have heard of some sites and I see all of the products but I can't make head nor tail of it! My budget is €500!
    I don't need windows 7, a keyboard, a mouse or a monitor.
    Any one help me out? Cheers people!

What are you going to be using it for? Any gaming, photoshop, video editing? Or just normal internet + office stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭pepper180

Sorry forgot to add! It's for gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

I will throw something together for you later today and PM you the parts if you like.

This is a small bit over budget but a decent build:

Total build cost: €502.54 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.49
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €49.89
    Club 3D Radeon 6850 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6850, PCI-Express €122.99
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €150.41
    ASRock H61M-VS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €43.85
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.19

Side note: The PSU is out of stock until the 11th, so I would wait until its back in stock until ordering.

I will throw something together for you later today and PM you the parts if you like.

@jakedixon2004 - that would be great. Thanks very much!

@deconduo - thanks very much! You are a great help! Hopefully more people comment and give their words of wisdom! Thanks again! :)

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    This is a small bit over budget but a decent build:

Total build cost: €502.54 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.49
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €49.89
    Club 3D Radeon 6850 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6850, PCI-Express €122.99
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €150.41
    ASRock H61M-VS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €43.85
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.19

Side note: The PSU is out of stock until the 11th, so I would wait until its back in stock until ordering.

I'm going to be buying some games for it too when I get it built. How well will it run games? e.g - Crysis 2 and Minecraft.
    Thanks!

I'm going to be buying some games for it too when I get it built. How well will it run games? e.g - Crysis 2 and Minecraft.
    Thanks!

It will run minecraft at full settings no problem, even with HD texture packs. Should run crysis close enough to max settings (no AA/AF) at 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Not an expert on minecraft by any means but am i right in thinking it dosent have multi core support yet. So for minecraft getting a high clock on each (one) core would be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Teutorix wrote: »
    Not an expert on minecraft by any means but am i right in thinking it dosent have multi core support yet. So for minecraft getting a high clock on each (one) core would be important.

Core for core the i5 2400 is about as fast as you can get - you could spend 25 euros more and get the i5 2500k which is pretty much the fastest affordable gaming chip out there. It'll also turbo boost when only using one core.

does anyone else have any ideas on a gaming PC i could build?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Thats pretty much the best PC you can get for the money from one of the cheapest sites in Europe.

The equivalent dell would cost a grand or more

again all, thanks for your help. Its very helpful!

ok so, will the i5 2500k cost much more? and is it much better?

ok so, will the i5 2500k cost much more? and is it much better?

The 2500k is €20 more, but you also need to spend another €55 on top of that to get a P67 motherboard.

The i5 is not that much better, but you can overclock it to get a huge performance boost. Even on the stock cooler, most people have been able to get at least 4GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's €22 more. The 2400 is 3.1GHz, the 2500K is 3.3GHz. That's not a huge difference, but I'd probably get the 2500K as it will be likely have better resale value (although technology prices fall fast). The advantages of a "K" processor are overclocking and better graphics. You won't be overclocking since you can't with a H61/67 board, you need a P67 or Z68. You won't be using the graphics as you have a dedicated card.
    I suppose it won't really pay off now but maybe when you have more money, you could get a better motherboard and unleash the full power of the 2500K? Overclocking is very easy and a 25% speed increase would be very easily done with a good board.

deconduo wrote: »
    The 2500k is €20 more, but you also need to spend another €55 on top of that to get a P67 motherboard.

The i5 is not that much better, but you can overclock it to get a huge performance boost. Even on the stock cooler, most people have been able to get at least 4GHz.

There is a lot of P67 motherboards, which one would you advise?

There is a lot of P67 motherboards, which one would you advise?

ASRock P67 Pro3:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43133&agid=1601

well this has well gone over my budget now :(

There's a Gigbyte P67 for €81.27, which is significantly cheaper than most boards. There's not that much info about it though. The only downside I notice in the specifications is the lack of USB 3.
    well this has well gone over my budget now :(

If you do spend the extra little bit, you're getting a very solid, powerful platform which is upgradable and should have a long life.

So if I got this new motherboard and processor, do u think I could play Battlefield 3 on it? How would it run it?

• Advertisement

Battlefield 3 has to work on the consoles. This system would far, far surpass the power of any console and should run superbly unless it is an extremely bad port with lazy coding. A 2500K would last you a very long time. Most games depend more heavily on GPU power, so if you find yourself falling behind in the future, you can swap in a new GPU and your CPU will still be sufficient.
    The 6850 is able to handle nearly all games well at 1920x1080 so hopefully you'll be running BF3 nicely too.

So should I just get i7 instead of the i5 2500k? Is there much difference? I'm a complete noob to this guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Not for a gaming build it's not worth the extra cost.

The only real difference between them is the i7 has HyperThreading which means it is better for multitasking or highly multi-threaded applications and games arn't. So you won't notice any better performance in the i7 compared with the i5.

another question, Wifi. Will this PC have Wifi, or how will I get Wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

No it won't have Wifi as is. There is a few ways to get it.

I would recommend getting a PCI wireless card. It will plug directly into your motherboard and it's antenna will hang out the back. I am not exactly an expert on computer components much less so with Wifi cards, but there is a host of them on hwvs to get. If it was me, I would probably google this card(http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30772&agid=271) too see if it's good because it won't be visible once installed and that also means the antenna can't get broken from the back.
    Full list of PCI wifi cards on hwvs: http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=271&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

Or for some people getting a USB adapter makes sense. If for example you like to help fix people's computers it might be handy to have one. You can find them on hwvs too. http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=207&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

You can run a wire internet connection with the motherboard but it won't be wireless.
    You'll have to get a wireless adapter which is only around 17 quid or so afaik. Sorry im on mobile now so i cant post a link. I have a wireless setup on my thread about my final build if you wannacheck that out.

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap copy of windows 7 64 bit? Everywhere is so expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap copy of windows 7 64 bit? Everywhere is so expensive.

If your a student, you could get Win7Pro for €45. There's tutorials for making upgrade disks work as installation disks on the internet.

Otherwise, if you TALK about PIRACY, you'll get BANNED

• Advertisement

If your a student, you could get Win7Pro for €45. There's tutorials for making upgrade disks work as installation disks on the internet.

Otherwise, if you don't have THE money, GET LINUX INSTEAD

Haha very intelligent I must say! Yeah I am a student so I will get it there thanks! Any other places to get cheap for non students?

Advertisement