Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding lime

Options
  • 07-07-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

On my second kit which is coopers cerveza

So instead of adding a slice of lime I want to add the lime to the beer, it's now ready to be bottled and I think this is the time I should add it

Question is how much do I add? It will obviously be fresh lime juice so how do I prepare this before adding? Do I need to boil it?

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Juice is little more than water and sugar: there'll not be much left once the yeast gets at it. Zest or peel would be better.

Boil about 50g in a small amount of water, add it to the fermenter and leave it for a week or so before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

Cheers beernut

Wanted to add vanilla pods as well but worried it migh make it too sweet, any suggestion?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you want to do experiments like this, it's best to have some 5L demijohns and rack off parts of the batch so you don't ruin the whole thing if it goes wrong.

Kit lager and vanilla doesn't sound very appetising to me, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

BeerNut wrote: »

Kit lager and vanilla doesn't sound very appetising to me, though.

Think i'd agree with beernut on the vanilla cerveza thing. Think vanilla compliments stouts and porters a bit better. One thing to note with adding vanilla pods to beer is that you're introducing oils to the mix and this kills head retention big time. You could just use a good quality extract to avoid this.

Advertisement