Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People being/acting "Random"

Options
  • 07-07-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

What is this carry on all about? I hear and see people when talking about themselves saying "oh I'm random", or "I love doing random things"

Random:
    Made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision

People are conscious of everything they do unless they are, dead, asleep or under hypnosis...if it were real:rolleyes: or under the influence of narcotics or alcohol.

From a sociologist point of view why do you think this meaning to describe ones self has come about?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Think mostly they seem to mean 'eclectic' or 'spontaneous' depending on the context...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

I think so to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Context is kind of the clincher here lol
    I would consider myself very random.
    I am lead to believe its due to my dominant right side of the brain.
    Im quite creative and can easily think of random things and my schedule is very random.
    I tend to do things when i feel i can or want to.Where i am thinking a left brain dominant will prefer a schedule ina linear fashion.
    Right brain dominants apparently prefer rndom thinking and learning.

With learning i tend to look a the big picture,then grab bits of info here and there at seemingly unpredictable places.I also do nearly everyhting to do with thinking in a visual way.

So i guess some might just mean they enjoy alot of change in their experiences to keep it fresh and others might actually be random thinkers and do and think random things.

I know i have trouble keeping my thoughts in a straight line too.
    I tend to use association alot and vissually aswell, which makes it hard to focus in a school enviornment which is all linear and set for left brain dominance.
    I was very good at art and metalwork in school though :D

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Oh ye i nearly forgot.I think people of conscious of about 20% of what they experience.The other 80% is unconscious and the brain uses filters built over time to disregard all the rest that hasnt been "logged" as important to consciously see.
    So i believe some people might actually have random thoughts from their unconscious and not really understand how or why those thoughts came to mind.
    Also note that schizophrenia has in the past been linked to very high creativity,which would be a focus on the right side of the brain.
    I think schiziophrenics may actually be highly intelligent creatives,so much so that they cannot handle it and/or create alterior realities or visions and voices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

It seems to be more so with younger teenage girls or people in the alternative sub-cultures during their teens.

..Embarasing to admit but I was one until about 16-17.It was more so a trait from the sub-culture and the more random you where the more spontanious and cool you seemed.Quite often people got this in there head from "Gir" in Invader Zim.He's a insane robot that,well does randomn things :pac:.

There are some people that are geuninly random and are hilarious but does that try to do so...well not so much.

Heres what myself and a friend picked up from a conversation once from a teenage girl years ago "I'M GOING TO SHAVE ALL MY HAIR OFF!I'M GOING TO DYE IT BRIGHT PURPLE!I'M GOING TO GET AN ORANGE AND THROW IT AT PIDGIONS!I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RAAAAAAAAAANDOOOOM!"

*Whacks head of desk*.I'm glad when I was in that phase it was more running randomly or just falling then verbal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭zyxwvu

Seloth wrote: »
    Heres what myself and a friend picked up from a conversation once from a teenage girl years ago "I'M GOING TO SHAVE ALL MY HAIR OFF!I'M GOING TO DYE IT BRIGHT PURPLE!I'M GOING TO GET AN ORANGE AND THROW IT AT PIDGIONS!I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RAAAAAAAAAANDOOOOM!"

It's interesting for me to note that when I hear the people you describe talking about how random they are, they often seem to use the same words. Common ones from my experience are the colours "purple", "orange"... animals like "monkey", "zebra", "cow".... the words "evil", "super".... the fruits "banana", "pineapple" ... ie. they are more predictable than they would like to think!

• Advertisement
Advertisement