Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of hip replacement

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know the cost of double hip replacement for a lab?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd guesstimate at least €5000k - this is going on the fact that my own dogs surgery to have his leg straightened was €1800. His surgery was a wedge of bone cut out and then the bones aligned and held in place with 5 or 7 pins and a plate. I'd imagine the actual replacement hip joints would be expensive. Do you have insurance? If the dog is insured since you got it you may be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

no idea. you could call gilabbey vets in Cork and I am sure they could give you a ballpark amount.
    http://www.gilabbeyvet.com/

thousands I would imagine:rolleyes:

ppink wrote: »
    no idea. you could call gilabbey vets in Cork and I am sure they could give you a ballpark amount.
    http://www.gilabbeyvet.com/

thousands I would imagine:rolleyes:

Gilabbey is where my guy had his operation and I found them brilliant thou I've heard that Shane has sent people to Baldoyle as he trained the guy there :pac:

Also.... are you going to reply to the questions about your dog in your other post? There is a wealth of knowledge available here on boards and people have responded to your other posts to try to help and advise you. By sharing your experiences you are giving everyone who reads to ability potentially help somebody out. Even if they haven't experience with Hip dysplasia they may remember the posts and be able to give links to them etc. I know people have remembered that eg my guy was on crate rest when somebody comes on looking for advise and I've been able to help which is what the forum is all about...well imo anyways. /RANTOVER

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There is an ortho vet in Dublin, Billy Mc Cartney, we send all our dogs needing ortho surgery there, he is not as expensive as Gilabbey but the bill will still probably run into the thousands... I really feel for your dog as it is a lot to go through. :o But he is still a very young dog and this could give him a good quality of life for the next 10-12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Thanks for the replies. My vet knows Shane Guerin and called him yesterday evening. Interestingly Shane said to leave him as is for the moment as only 20% of dogs with hip dysplasia will need surgery. He said a more appropriate time to assess his progress would be 14 months. He also said if surgery is required we can expect a pretty good outcome and a very normal active dog. Luckily the dog is insured but I am guessing it won't cover the full cost. With regard to hip scores of the parents, they were not done. In fairness to the breeder she called last night and was really upset for the dog and has committed that we will not be "down financially" whatever the outcome. She does seem genuine, but she should hip score her breeding dogs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

well thats not too bad news then. Shane is very very good and if you are insured it might well be worth your while having a consult with him anyway.
    Glad you have the insurance. I think mine had a yearly limit on it of €4500 ish

Just one warning that I always give people in this situation........my dog was diagnosed with HD and I was told nothing could be done.
    Long story short she was wrongly diagnosed (this was confirmed by second opinion and then third opinion with Shane)
    In fact she had a bone out of place in her back and by the time we had figured it was not HD this bone had fused and nothing can be done about it. Moral of my story..........always get a second opinion.......especially if it is going to be a big problem. Maybe you have done that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Fantastic news that your dog is insured OP, thank heavens! That should cover the cost. You must be so glad you took out pet insurance!

boomerang wrote: »
    There is an ortho vet in Dublin, Billy Mc Cartney, we send all our dogs needing ortho surgery there, he is not as expensive as Gilabbey but the bill will still probably run into the thousands... I really feel for your dog as it is a lot to go through. :o But he is still a very young dog and this could give him a good quality of life for the next 10-12 years.

That's the guy that trained under Shane G.;)

It's tough - we were in the same situation and the waiting was awful. And then when you see them in pain and limping or have to limit their exercise it breaks your heart because all they want to do is jump around and be a mad puppy. Op you should get him on a lower protein food and if he's carrying and extra weight get it off to ease the pressure on his joints - we switched to Burns as its quite low in protein. I did lots of obedience training with my guy to burn off energy when he was restricted. Before the op a 20 min walk was all we could give him, no running around too much - when he was playing he'd stop all of a sudden and stand beside me so I'd know he was sore :( It's 8 months now since his op - we walk for an 60-90 mins in the evening, he can run and play and doesn't get tired, he swims in the sea and at hydro and doesn't get sore :)
    He gets Flexicose and also Luposan Pellets (zooplus) - he stopped needing pain medicine before the op once he started on these

He's a Bailey too btw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

tk123 wrote: »
    That's the guy that trained under Shane G.;)

It's tough - we were in the same situation and the waiting was awful. And then when you see them in pain and limping or have to limit their exercise it breaks your heart because all they want to do is jump around and be a mad puppy. Op you should get him on a lower protein food and if he's carrying and extra weight get it off to ease the pressure on his joints - we switched to Burns as its quite low in protein. I did lots of obedience training with my guy to burn off energy when he was restricted. Before the op a 20 min walk was all we could give him, no running around too much - when he was playing he'd stop all of a sudden and stand beside me so I'd know he was sore :( It's 8 months now since his op - we walk for an 60-90 mins in the evening, he can run and play and doesn't get tired, he swims in the sea and at hydro and doesn't get sore :)
    He gets Flexicose and also Luposan Pellets (zooplus) - he stopped needing pain medicine before the op once he started on these

He's a Bailey too btw :pac:

Good to hear the results are so positive. We will be taking him to Shane or Billy as soon as he hits 14 months.

Advertisement