Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing from scratch an oil/LPG/wood-burning boiler for domestic heating/hot water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The costs depend on demand and usage.

The heating demand should be calculated, EN12831 the European tool to do this.
    Without a demand calculation any aproach would be very costly, hardly a chance to get a good deal, a suitable heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

With the price of oil and LPG I would definately get the chimney repaired.

It may be acceptable to remove the loose pots and then line the entire chimney in a stainless steel liner.

As the range is 20 years old I would bin it and get either a stove with backboiler or a dedicated central heating boiler like a trianco TRG gravity fed boiler. The thing with these is they have a large hopper and so only need filling once a day and it's totally automatic once lit. You can even have a programmer to get the heat on in the morning. Opens the damper on the boiler and a fan starts and gets the fire blazing from a slumber. The only thing though is you have to use smokeless anthracite grains/peas.

If this is to expensive you could always just go for an ordinary solid fuel stove with boiler but buy one with the optional thermostat to control the fire/ water temperature. The only thing is you have to keep feeding it every 1-2 hours depending on stove, but you dont have to keep opening/ closing the air inlet slides to control the heat needed to run the rads etc.

As there is no natural gas I think the best option for her is to have an oil condencing boiler for the 2nd fuel although expensive but a bit cheaper than LPG.

I would have thermostatic valves fitted and have the house zoned so that there is an upstairs and downstairs circuit and a hot water one. At least then the whole house does not have to be heated and get each zone programmed seperately, so if you only want heat upstairs for 3 hours you can etc.

Insulation helps greatly

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kerryplumbing

I really think your best option is to get some one over to give you an expert opinion. The costing for the new heating system is extremely hard to assume as there are just too many variables that would need to be taken into account - for an approx I would normally charge in the region of 5 thousand for a complete install but in all likelihood you probably wont need this as there already rads installed
    For ease of use I would probably have a fully zoned programmable heating system. Grants are still available through SEAI and you may also find that Kerry County Council may also help financially

Advertisement