Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphonewarehouse Asus Transformer tablet rip off.

Options
  • 07-07-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

The price of the Asus transformer tablet at carphone warehouse has gone from €399 two weeks ago, to €429 last week, to €449 yesterday when I checked yesterday pm in Dublin city centre.

Apparently there's a stock shortage.

It seems that Carphonewarehouse have seen this and are taking advantage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

seeing_ie wrote: »
    It seems that Carphonewarehouse have seen this and are taking advantage.
    Makes sense so, good to see they are not employing idiots, it would be worrying if their accounts/pricing people did not understand the basic concept of supply & demand.

I imagine it can be got online for a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

I'd disagree.

Maybe it's ok for the likes of ticket touts to set their prices according to demand.

For a reputable retailer like Carphone warehouse to consider their margin acceptable at €399, then jack the price up to €449 when they realise there's a shortage, smacks of price gouging to me.

It makes it difficult for interested consumers to spend their euros in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd disagree.

Maybe it's ok for the likes of ticket touts to set their prices according to demand.

For a reputable retailer like Carphone warehouse to consider their margin acceptable at €399, then jack the price up to €449 when they realise there's a shortage, smacks of price gouging to me.

They may get their fingers burned if there is a sudden increase in availability and they have to drop their prices to compete with other suppliers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'd disagree.

You want the communists to come back ?

You want the communists to come back ?

Which communists? :D Thought there was legislation in the US making ticket touting illegal, and rumblings along the same lines here. Could be wrong.

Thought it was worth mentioning Carphone warehouse's pricing policy, particularly in light of retailers calls for consumers to shop locally.

Read somewhere that consumer electronics was one place where Irish retailers competed well (probably because a tech-savvy market will simply go elsewhere otherwise).
    Except when there's an opportunity to make a quick buck from a product shortage it seems, in the case of Carphone warehouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Which communists? :D Thought there was legislation in the US making ticket touting illegal, and rumblings along the same lines here. Could be wrong.

Thought it was worth mentioning Carphone warehouse's pricing policy, particularly in light of retailers calls for consumers to shop locally.

Read somewhere that consumer electronics was one place where Irish retailers competed well (probably because a tech-savvy market will simply go elsewhere otherwise).
    Except when there's an opportunity to make a quick buck from a product shortage it seems, in the case of Carphone warehouse.

The only way to get a shop to lower their advertised prices is to shop elsewhere.

They'll either lower their prices or go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most reputable airlines and hotels would do the same thing, amazon seem to do it too, you can track price changes on amazon with this site

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

It could also be the distributor or manufacturer who are really charging more.

rubadub wrote: »
    Most reputable airlines and hotels would do the same thing, amazon seem to do it too, you can track price changes on amazon with this site

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Agreed. Although, to my mind, airlines and hotels are selling a time sensitive product.
    An flight or hotel room (or concert ticket), by their nature, can be worth a lot less or more depending on the day of the week.
    A consumer electronic item should start at a price and then gradually decrease.
    Probably an old fashioned vew of retailing, but if I'm shopping purely on price , why bother going to the store at all?

The CPW store I was in didn't have a display model, the assistants couldn't or wouldn't open a box, and weren't interested in finding out what store had a display model for me.
    Trying to call other stores myself was a nightmare.
    Couldn't find store phone numbers on the CPW website so got the numbers from the phone book.
    Called three stores but it seems they don't want customers calling, as each time I was dumped into the same phone system and couldn't get through to the stores.
    Tried customer service but the best the UK operator could do was give me the store phone numbers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Agreed. Although, to my mind, airlines and hotels are selling a time sensitive product.
    An flight or hotel room (or concert ticket), by their nature, can be worth a lot less or more depending on the day of the week.
    Probably an old fashioned vew of retailing, but if I'm shopping purely on price , why bother going to the store at all?

The CPW store I was in didn't have a display model, the assistants couldn't or wouldn't open a box, and weren't interested in finding out what store had a display model for me.
    Couldn't find store phone numbers on the CPW website so got the numbers from the phone book.
    Called three stores but it seems they don't want customers calling, as each time I was dumped into the same phone system and couldn't get through to the stores.
    Tried customer service but the best the UK operator could do was give me the store phone numbers again.

I think only Dundrum and maybe Liffy have demo models in general!
    Try there stores? More likely Dundrum then Liffey btw. Was up there recently, nice shop, load of demo models all around!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

The price of the Asus transformer tablet at carphone warehouse has gone from €399 two weeks ago, to €429 last week, to €449 yesterday when I checked yesterday pm in Dublin city centre.
    Prices change, from what i gather cpw was selling the for 400 for at least 2 months. CPW kept the price 400 to compete with currys/pcworld[/QUOTE]
    Or it could just be this
    Apparently there's a stock shortage.
    There is no stock shortage, i could tell you where to pick one up.
    this is not true, they might of subsidized it for a short while to encourage as many people to buy the product as soon as possible and then revert it to its proper price, its happens to mobile phones a fair bit to be honest
    and weren't interested in finding out what store had a display model for me.
    Im sure the probably advised you to go to Dundrum has they have demo models of the tablets as it is a wireless world shop. Its a new thing for Irish CPW stores and because of this there is only two Wireless world stores.

• Advertisement

There is no stock shortage, i could tell you where to pick one up.

"Bottleneck" blamed for Asus Transformer shortage

Should I give the other proclamations in your post the same weight as the one above?

muboop1 wrote: »
    I think only Dundrum and maybe Liffy have demo models in general!
    Try there stores? More likely Dundrum then Liffey btw. Was up there recently, nice shop, load of demo models all around!

No, stores in the city centre have demo models.

Advertisement