Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tá sé (spelled phonetically) mahogunay

Options
  • 07-07-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what this saying is actually supposed to be? I know it means everything's grand, but what is the actual wording supposed to be?

My grandmother used to always say tá sé mahogony gaspipes...which is an extension of it I presume, but I don't know what the original wording (if there is any) is supposed to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Does anyone know what this saying is actually supposed to be? I know it means everything's grand, but what is the actual wording supposed to be?

My grandmother used to always say tá sé mahogony gaspipes...which is an extension of it I presume, but I don't know what the original wording (if there is any) is supposed to be?

I think you mean maith go léor? I think thats how you spell it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Where's deise when you need 'im?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

OK I'm gonna go ahead and say it: Surely this is in the wrong section?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Tá sé Mahagaine means 'It is Mahogany' I have never heard the saying before. Maybe the origin has something to do with - 'it is mahogany' as in 'it is the best ' and has been somehow used to show approval for something deemed to be good or genuine?

All guess work I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It doesn't mean anything. It's just a phrase used to mimic how speaking Irish might sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

annascott wrote: »
    Tá sé Mahagaine means 'It is Mahogany' I have never heard the saying before. Maybe the origin has something to do with - 'it is mahogany' as in 'it is the best ' and has been somehow used to show approval for something deemed to be good or genuine?

All guess work I'm afraid.

Ooooh ...it sounds pretty plausible though, I didn't realise mahagaine was mahogony in Irish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was there a magazine called mahogony gaspipe?

elvis99 wrote: »
    I think you mean maith go léor? I think thats how you spell it
    No, I definitely don't think it's that...it is in line with what the phrase means alright, but it doesn't fit in with the pronunciation.
    OK I'm gonna go ahead and say it: Surely this is in the wrong section?
    What section should it be in?
    coats wrote: »

That is true alright :D But I was wondering if it actually stemmed from something.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    It doesn't mean anything. It's just a phrase used to mimic how speaking Irish might sound.
    You mean my grandmother wasn't a fluent Irish speaker :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

There was/is a restaurant in Stoneybatter called Mahogany Gaspipes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

It was a send up of how not to speak Irish,incorrect use of the personal pronoun.

I well remember years ago watching Blankety Blank, which for younger viewers involved a panel of celebrities finishing a popular joke or phrase.The program was presented by Limerick's own Terry Wogan.

Anyway,one time a phrase he read out started off "Did you hear about the Irish..."
    He stopped,amidst much catcalling and amusement from the audience and celebrities,and said something like "Oh no.You know they get this program in Ireland now?"

He then turned to the camera and said conspiratorially "Ta se mahogany gaspipe. That'll please 'em".

cml387 wrote: »
    It was a send up of how not to speak Irish,incorrect use of the personal pronoun.

I well remember years ago watching Blankety Blank, which for younger viewers involved a panel of celebrities finishing a popular joke or phrase.The program was presented by Limerick's own Terry Wogan.

Anyway,one time a phrase he read out started off "Did you hear about the Irish..."
    He stopped,amidst much catcalling and amusement from the audience and celebrities,and said something like "Oh no.You know they get this program in Ireland now?"

He then turned to the camera and said conspiratorially "Ta se mahogany gaspipe. That'll please 'em".

Thanks Biko :D

And thanks cml387...I was full sure it had some sort of meaning...whenever I heard it used it was always in the context of 'everything's grand'. My grandmother would plonk down into a chair in the evening and say 'aahhh ta se mahogony gaspipes'...and she always convinced me it meant something, as if it came from some sort of Ta se mahogonay saying :o:o

Thanks for the reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Ooooh ...it sounds pretty plausible though, I didn't realise mahagaine was mahogony in Irish :D

:) and I learned that marble is marmar

They say 'melodeon' in parts of Roscommon for 'nuts/mad/gas' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Wasn't it coined by Myles nagCopaleen/Brian O'Nolan?

And that was a fantastic restaurant in Stoneybatter - spent lots of evenings (and punts!) there

Advertisement