Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training a puppy

Options
  • 07-07-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

As some of you may know, we rescued an 8 week old puppy last week. She is great! Very hyper, legging it everywhere, but can easily fall asleep! Presuming because she is still a baby.

I'm just looking for advice on training. The big and most important one is toilet training. We leave papers out and when I see her going, I'm running and putting her on the paper.

I got up this morning and she seemed to have went on the paper (deliberately or fluke, I dunno!) but her poos are everywhere bar the paper! Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

The best thing is just loads of praise and a treat when you do see her going on the papers.
    She'll soon learn that she gets the treat and praise when she goes on the paper then.

As for the poo's, our one never did take to doing them on the mat/paper.
    When she was a little older, she just started doing them outside and that was that.
    It started when she was out on a walk and if she did a poo there, we'd give loads of praise and a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Honestly I wouldn't bother with the paper, you're just adding a whole other step to the training.

Start as you mean to go on and have her go outside. Take her out every hour, no playing just stand there until she goes and then loads of love and praise when she does. Take her out straight away after a nap, food, play, etc. As she is a young pup she won't be able to hold it overnight so you will need to get up to bring her out. Consistency is the key here but if you put in the work you will be seeing results soon.

You should also search here for crate training, it's fantastic for training young pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Unless you want her to continue to go on paper when she is fully grown, I would take them up as it takes longer to train them to go outside as will be confused.

You could try crate training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

+1 on Toulouses and Tillygirl's reply.

Get rid of the paper asap.

Paper is only delaying the process and confusing the pup and you will be basically training the pup twice.

Start as you mean to go on. Straight outside to the toilet and i would suggest crate training too.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I remember getting those puppy training mats that are supposed to encourage them to do their business there instead of the floor. All mine ever did was curl up and snooze on them after peeing beside the mats. :rolleyes: I gave it up as a bad job and anytime I saw them sniffing in the corner, I'd scoop them up and bring them outside. Same for after naps, playing and eating. They soon got the message and were tapping at the door to be let out at about six months. There were some accidents of course, you can't avoid those, but the toilet training went a lot smoother than I thought I would.

Best of luck, OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Yeah I remember trying the paper mats with my terrier. It was out of necessity really as I didnt have a garden at the time but all she ever did was rip them apart and play with the pieces.

Agree very much with everyone that recommended crate training, its never too early to start. I learned that the hard way, with a chewed up kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Thanks for all the great advice! So we tried the new way yesterday, drink of water - straight outside etc. It works! My house isn't been destroyed as much!! :-) our only problem is now that she is left on her own for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day as I go to work late and hubby comes home early so hopefully soon enough she will be able to wait! She's still very young so I would say we will be waiting a while! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to bring her out all the time, after every drink, play session, dinner, sleep and any other times regularly too so she gets the message that outisde is where she is to go.

Advertisement