Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new BB provider

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all

I have been reading all the threads about ISP in Ireland and would love some advice on the best ISP to go with. I'm currently with Vodafone and am planning to go over to UPC, but have been reading up on their forum and there are some horror stories there too.

Can anyone let me know if they have an ISP they are happy with (I don't mind the odd hiccup, just don't want continous bad service) I would really appreciate any helpful hints. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

UPC are your best bet. They offer the best speeds for the best prices. You won't find any better in Ireland.

UPC's customer service are very friendly and helpful, unlike Vodadone's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've been with UPC (previously NTL) for about 7 years and haven't had any problems with them. I'm in Lucan, so maybe Clonmel might be different for infrastructure.

I started on a basic 1Mb package I think, but over the years they upgraded it and now I've a 15Mb package.
    They never charged me if I went over my download cap (30Gb) I think, and only once sent me a slap on the wrist letter for abusing it and downloading something like 86Gb in one month.

Also, I appreciate that they fought the music industry about bit-torrents and the "three strike" rule, when Eircom caved in without a fight.

I'd recommend UPC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm with vodafone at the moment they're ok but speed fluctuates wildly.

The best I've used is digiweb at work, very reliable, I'm more than happy with their service but not the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Incidentally, with UPC, I beleive you can have just the internet service, if you're not bothered about getting their TV service. They do charge extra though IIRC. Also I think you can have it without direct debits too, also at an extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd go with UPC, been with them for over 2 years with little or no trouble from them. I only have the 20Mb internet package since I never watch TV.

I haven't had a good experience at all with their customer support but that was in relation to the time I had the digital TV pack and those were rare cases I needed to contact them. Was always left on hold and would leave the phone on loudspeaker beside me until somebody got to me.............plenty of times after 20 minutes they never would.

Anyways, I'd recommend them for their speed and price range which are good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I'd only be going for the BB and phone package, and they quoted me a very good price (€42 for 25MB, 400 minutes to international numbers and a download cap of 250GB). Much cheaper than VF and I get more for my money. They also said I could downgrade after 4 months from 25MB to 12MB, but still keep the wifi router, and that would be €4 cheaper per month.

I think that's an excellent deal.

Advertisement