Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I take a year out after the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I’ve just done my Leaving Cert, and am wondering if I should take a year out to work, maybe improve a language, volunteer and/or decide what I want to do in college. (The latter being the main reason for taking a year out.) I might even decide that I want to go to art college, and I’ll have plenty of time to do a portfolio (as opposed to the amount of time I had in the past year).

I filled out the CAO last week, and after being fairly laid back about the Leaving all year, I became really stressed at the end of June. (In fairness, I think it’s difficult to decide what career path you want to take within a week or two after doing supposedly the toughest exams of your life. Everyone’s a bit drained after the exams, so it’s hard to make huge decisions. And, with all of the projects, study and procrastination of the previous nine months, you don’t really have much time to be dwelling on the hundreds of college courses out there. Also, I’ve yet to hear a good thing about a career guidance teacher – all I hear is that they are generally terrible and useless at helping with career choices – no offence to any decent guidance teachers out there!)

In the end I didn’t even change my number one. The rest was moved around a lot. The first five were all journalism, except for one arts course. And if arts and journalism had equal points, I may well have put arts down first.

Basically, I’m not quite sure what I want to do (hence arts being very appealing right now). I’m also only seventeen. I honestly just feel too young to make such a major decision right now.

If I had a chance of getting a job (pretty slim nowadays), I’d find a year out a lot more appealing. But seeing as that would be very tough, I’d hate to end up jobless and bored wishing I was in college with mates.

I’d love to go abroad to improve my standard of French, but that’d cost a lot and a year away from family and friends in an unfamiliar place scares me… It’d still be brilliant as I plan on studying French in college.

A year out may also give me a good opportunity to get some articles/reports published in local newspapers. Even if it was all unpaid, it’d still give me an idea of whether or not I’d like journalism, as well as some invaluable experience and perhaps a summer job to boot!

I’ve some heard people say a year out is a terrible idea, and that it can put you off ever going to college, but I doubt that’d happen me. I may have become lazy when it comes to study but I’ve always wanted to go to college, and if I didn’t go I don’t know what I’d do. I can’t see myself being put off third level education, or even being allowed (by parents) not to pursue it, so I can’t see a year out doing my any harm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

elliecat wrote: »
    I’ve just done my Leaving Cert, and am wondering if I should take a year out to work, maybe improve a language, volunteer and/or decide what I want to do in college. (The latter being the main reason for taking a year out.) I might even decide that I want to go to art college, and I’ll have plenty of time to do a portfolio (as opposed to the amount of time I had in the past year).

I filled out the CAO last week, and after being fairly laid back about the Leaving all year, I became really stressed at the end of June. (In fairness, I think it’s difficult to decide what career path you want to take within a week or two after doing supposedly the toughest exams of your life. Everyone’s a bit drained after the exams, so it’s hard to make huge decisions. And, with all of the projects, study and procrastination of the previous nine months, you don’t really have much time to be dwelling on the hundreds of college courses out there. Also, I’ve yet to hear a good thing about a career guidance teacher – all I hear is that they are generally terrible and useless at helping with career choices – no offence to any decent guidance teachers out there!)

In the end I didn’t even change my number one. The rest was moved around a lot. The first five were all journalism, except for one arts course. And if arts and journalism had equal points, I may well have put arts down first.

Basically, I’m not quite sure what I want to do (hence arts being very appealing right now). I’m also only seventeen. I honestly just feel too young to make such a major decision right now.

If I had a chance of getting a job (pretty slim nowadays), I’d find a year out a lot more appealing. But seeing as that would be very tough, I’d hate to end up jobless and bored wishing I was in college with mates.

I’d love to go abroad to improve my standard of French, but that’d cost a lot and a year away from family and friends in an unfamiliar place scares me… It’d still be brilliant as I plan on studying French in college.

A year out may also give me a good opportunity to get some articles/reports published in local newspapers. Even if it was all unpaid, it’d still give me an idea of whether or not I’d like journalism, as well as some invaluable experience and perhaps a summer job to boot!

I’ve some heard people say a year out is a terrible idea, and that it can put you off ever going to college, but I doubt that’d happen me. I may have become lazy when it comes to study but I’ve always wanted to go to college, and if I didn’t go I don’t know what I’d do. I can’t see myself being put off third level education, or even being allowed (by parents) not to pursue it, so I can’t see a year out doing my any harm.

Can I ask what journalism courses you applied to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elliecat

You can. :p

Well all of them, three in Dublin and one in UL. I put them in order of last years points coincidentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I put them in order of last years points coincidentally.

Oh no you didn't! :( It's suppose to be in the order of which you want most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Oh no you didn't! :( It's suppose to be in the order of which you want most.

She said coincidentally so it probably is her preference as well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Saw a post on a similar thread a few days ago which might help shed some light on your situation:
    word of warning. I took a year out. Then another... Then another... Then another. Now I'm 24.

Scared the living daylights out of me.

Though if you really do feel you need a year to make up your mind then I'd go for it, if you feel it's warranted. Too many people take a year out because they don't want their summer holidays to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

You can. :p

Well all of them, three in Dublin and one in UL. I put them in order of last years points coincidentally.

Oh thank god it said 5 in the original post and I thought there might be one I was forgetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

Hey don't take a year out... I'm seventeen as well and was also thinking of taking a year out but realised it such a bad idea. My brother took a year out when he was seventeen, got a job and now he is 23 and hasn't gone yet. Also i have been talkin to many people who did take a year out and went back to college, they found it very difficult to get back into a routine. It is such a bad idea. Plus think of the excitement. Im buzzing here. Can't wait to go to cllege. I've applied for a media course in the IT in tralee. Its meant to be really good. Just hope i don't fail maths. But seriously i thinking taking a year out is a bad idea.. Anyway sorry for blabbing on.. Good luck with watever choice you make...x

Fbjm wrote: »
    Saw a post on a similar thread a few days ago which might help shed some light on your situation:

"word of warning. I took a year out. Then another... Then another... Then another. Now I'm 24."

Scared the living daylights out of me.

:eek: Me too! :(
    Fbjm wrote: »
    Too many people take a year out because they don't want their summer holidays to end.

That wouldn't be my reason at all, I just feel a bit young for all this craic.
    Oh thank god it said 5 in the original post and I thought there might be one I was forgetting!

Nope, the fifth one I was talking about was arts!
    cat290 wrote: »
    If you're not 100% sure what it is you want and if you feel like you need a bit of a break, a year out is definitely the best decision.

That's what I was thinking!
    cat290 wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need to go and sit on a beach all year! If you're worried about your CV you could pack in some volunteering overseas that will help you develop new skills such as working in a team, increasing confidence and adaptability, as well as giving you the chance to get a taste of local life. You could even look at working abroad in Australia or the US; getting paid as you travel is always handy!

Exactly, if I was to travel I would have to secure a job first. And volunteer work is something I'd like whether travelling or not. :)
    begsy wrote: »
    Hey don't take a year out... I'm seventeen as well and was also thinking of taking a year out but realised it such a bad idea. My brother took a year out when he was seventeen, got a job and now he is 23 and hasn't gone yet. Also i have been talkin to many people who did take a year out and went back to college, they found it very difficult to get back into a routine. It is such a bad idea.

I don't know, I can't see myself delaying college for that long. For one thing the mother wouldn't have a notion of letting me get away with not going to college! Also more education is something I'd enjoy, I like to learn (it's just the studying and the work I can be a bit lazy about).
    begsy wrote: »
    Plus think of the excitement. Im buzzing here. Can't wait to go to cllege.

Yeah I'm really excited about it too, so if I took a year out I'd surely be dying to go and experience the whole thing. So it's fairly unlikely that it'd put me off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Im 24.

I went straight into college after my leaving (UL), did one year of a course and didn't like it and internally transferred and did 4 more years of a degree and graduated last year. I wish i had taken a year out as i essentially have a degree that lacks job prospects, wasn't something i really wanted (in fairness not many really know what they want at 17/18, most just want to go and have fun in college with a little study on the side)

Luckily i am doing a Masters degree in something i want come sept and something that has good enjoyable future job prospects. At 18 you just want to go to college, and dont think about where you will stand when you finish up. My advice - if you REALLY think you will DEFFO go back to college after a year out - DO IT! You may surprise how much your interest changes for a college course in the next few months with some work/abroad experience. HOWEVER, if you are flakeyish and think you may not end up going to college after a year out, then maybe go. But remember that college is not a must. You could do much better or much worse with or without a degree.

if you REALLY think you will DEFFO go back to college after a year out - DO IT! You may surprise how much your interest changes for a college course in the next few months with some work/abroad experience. HOWEVER, if you are flakeyish and think you may not end up going to college after a year out, then maybe go.

Thanks for the advice, knowing me I probably will change my mind in twelve months' time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement