Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Man Pals

Options
  • 06-07-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is something only I notice, but do older men not really have many other male friends? I always see older women out together be it walking, chatting in cafes and holidaying together, but not so many men seem to do this. Except maybe a few will sit at the bar, but that seems to be about it from my observation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Possibly the reason the older women are out together is because the old man would rather sit at home in front of the telly. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »
    Possibly the reason the older women are out together is because the old man would rather sit at home in front of the telly. :mad:
    Or because men are happy in their own company while wimmins need to gossip and natter and chat. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OldGoat wrote: »
    Or because men are happy in their own company while wimmins need to gossip and natter and chat. :D

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I breakfast with my daughter's father-in-law each Wednesday at 9AM. The cafe is usually full but conversation is easy. Mostly topical issues and sport. Lasts for about an hour plus the half hour drive each way. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Would you say that men as they get older become more solitary? I would rarely see a group of men out together now I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

OldGoat wrote: »
    Or because men are happy in their own company
    WindSock wrote: »
    Would you say that men as they get older become more solitary?

That about covers most of it imho

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I think that there is a grain of truth in your observation, we do tend to move away from the heard.
    There are some notable exceptions though, the pub for example. You'll always find a few oulfellas propping up the bar. Betting shops are another common gathering ground.
    Some hobbies and pasttimes attract men rather then women (generalisation) such as fishing or motorsports. A good oul steam traction engine fair will have men out in droves and just look at the popularity of the antique and classic car show last week.
    I think we need an event to draw us together rather then just casual getting together-ings. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I think we men have no problems communicating on the ‘safe’ subjects; sport, the workplace and the weather etc. We are much less comfortable when it comes to talking about our emotions or illnesses for example. This seems to me to be particularly true of older men.

I have been taking part in a men’s cancer support group for some time back and it is quite amazing to see how individual men can become open about their cancer and related issues once they know that the group is supportive and that confidentiality will be maintained. I went to that group seeking support and I now find with the passage of time that I am one of the supporters when a new member joins the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

GreyEagle wrote: »
    We are much less comfortable when it comes to talking about our emotions or illnesses for example. This seems to me to be particularly true of older men.

Illness especially in older men is a big issue in terms of bringing it up in discussion- I've a couple of personal challenges right now trying to deal with two elderly family members - denial that anything is wrong is quite strong within them...they've even fooled their own doctor into thinking everything was fine...I just can't explain it...

Advertisement