Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey, practice makes perfect!

• 06-07-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Haven't posed here before but thought I'd have my say.

I played chess when I was younger and then when I smoked weed but haven't played in around 5 years. I wasn't that good to begin with, generally beating poor players but started on the computer again just this week.

I am playing Brutal Chess on Linux and have gotten thrashed every time...until I got the real board out. Its a massive difference being able to look at the board in real life so if your playing on the 'puter make sure to get the board out. It really helps and I'm getting back to my old bad self.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I have no one to play against.
    So I play online against the computer on www.chess.com.

Like you I notice that my play as improved.
    before it took the computer to beat me in 20 moves, now it's progressed to 40 moves!

I intend to keep at it because my play has improved from dreadful to very bad.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

It is always good to read about people either starting out learning chess for the first time or retuning to it after a bit of a break. And yes, while practice might not make everyone perfect it most definitely makes us better than we would be without it.

Agree that nothing compares to having a real board in front of you. Computers are fine, but to really enjoy chess ya need a board.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

pat13wx wrote: »
    Agree that nothing compares to having a real board in front of you. Computers are fine, but to really enjoy chess ya need a board.:)

I just got one last Friday and now my daughter keeps pestering me to play. She had no interest in the computer (for chess). You are so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

groovie wrote: »
    I just got one last Friday and now my daughter keeps pestering me to play. She had no interest in the computer (for chess). You are so right.

That's great! It's really about the ability to properly interact with your "opponent " that make the difference, discussing moves later or during a game etc.

Glad you daughter is "pestering" you. I have the same problem with my kid who all love chess. My eldest, who is 15, is starting to beat me now, which is good to see.

Advertisement