Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog in pain - ibrupofen? paracetamol?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

~35kg labrador, 10 years old. Getting a little bit arthritic and overdid it on a walk this evening and seems to be in quite a bit of pain. He's whimpering to himself here. :( Was thinking of giving him 1 paracetamol or 1 ibrupofen to take the edge off it for him. Has anyone any experience? He's not on any other medication.

I know people here aren't vets and can't give medical advice, which is why I'm only asking if anyone has any experience of giving a lab sized dog a human painkiller. He'll be seeing a vet shortly for his annual shots so we'll be seeing about treatment for his hips then but right now he's miserable. Can't afford to be running down to the vet for this when he's due to go so soon (much as I would like to :().

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Redonblonde

Can't you ring the vet and ask? Just checked online and some stuff for people is very toxic for animals (for example, chocolate and artificial sweetener for dogs is very very bad). I'm sure if you called him, if you are a regular, they might tell you over the phone without you having to go in and buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You can give your dog his vaccines a little early and get his arthritis seen to at the same time. I was also told by a vet that you could give a dog infant calpol if it was very necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Do NOT give the dog ibuprofen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Please call your vet on this one.
    As already stated, ibuprofen should not be given to a dog, and there is a specific dosage of mg/kg of paracetamol which is safe to use in dogs. I know what it is, but I ain't posting it as I'm not a vet.
    Suffice to say, you would o/d your dog if you gave him one human paracetamol tablet. Calpol contains paracetamol, and should not be given unless your vet has given the right dosage and the go-ahead.
    Paracetamol is easy to o/d on for humans and dogs. Problem is, the effects are insidious and can take weeks to manifest, including extensive liver damage and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

From the Merck Veterinary Manual
    wrote:
    Ibuprofen has been recommended in dogs at 5 mg/kg. However, prolonged use at this dosage may cause gastric ulcers and perforations. GI irritation or ulceration, GI hemorrhage, and renal damage are the most commonly reported toxic effects of ibuprofen ingestion in dogs.

Cats are susceptible to ibuprofen toxicosis at approximately half the dosage required to cause toxicosis in dogs. Cats are especially sensitive because they have a limited glucuronyl-conjugating capacity.

With regards Paracetemol (Acetaminophen)
    wrote:
    In dogs, signs of acute toxicity are usually not observed unless the dosage of acetaminophen exceeds 100 mg/kg.

Worth reading....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Thank you all, very useful information. Panic ended up being averted when someone found some doggy painkillers that were left over from his last prescription not too long ago. My poor puppy :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Getting a little bit arthritic and overdid it on a walk this evening and seems to be in quite a bit of pain.
    Ask your vet about Sashas Blend see: www.sashasblend.com.au - we give half a teaspoon of it to our dog Holly who is about 10 or 12 human years. It's given with her food, and is like putting oil on a door - better movement. She's now able to tear down the garden if she (thinks she) sees a cat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Actually also worth reading about Multivitamin toxicity too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I know paracetamol can kill a cat stone dead but you shouldn't give it to your dog unless you know what your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I was told by paws people,you can give your dog calpol for children.I gave it to my dog and worked wonders.
    Also your pharmacy can give you over counter stuff and will know what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

folks we don't allow advice about medication administration for humans on boards, I'm going to assume this extends to animals too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement