Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concern for jobs at Glaxo Smith Kline {{Mega Merge}}

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0706/glaxosmithkline-business.html

Possible restructuring of the plant, I really hope GSK doesn't meet the same demise as the glass factory.

Over 700 employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I thought they recently upgraded the plant or built on or something.

I thought that aswell!

They have put the brand 'solpadine' up for sale lately as it's not a great seller any more due to the fact a pharmacist has go decide to give it out or not.

Hopefully it's good news, and not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

This is part of a global restructuring. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the crystal!

We'll find out today at three anyway, be on WLR shortly after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I've heard it's 130. Anyone confirm this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tis bad news im afraid. :/
    Glaxo Smithkline has confirmed that it will axe 130 jobs in Co Waterford today.

The redundancies were announced to the 750 strong workforce at the pharmaceutical plant in Dungarvan this afternoon.

The lay-offs follow a review of the firm's business by an outside consultancy group.

A consultation process with trade unions is expected to begin in the coming days.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/glaxo-smithkline-to-cut-130-jobs-in-waterford-511894.html#ixzz1RQu1uWgY

Also -- merged with the thread in the County forum

A terrible blow for the town, at least the 130 jobs are being phased over the next 3 years, so it might actually give the highly skilled employee's a chance to find something else before the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

eeloe wrote: »
    A terrible blow for the town, at least the 130 jobs are being phased over the next 3 years, so it might actually give the highly skilled employee's a chance to find something else before the time comes.

Rather than give redundancy, GSK will not replace employee's as they leave of their own accord and will not renew contracts of people currently under contract. That is how they plan to shed the majority of the jobs.
    In reality they have not been replacing staff leaving in the past year or two anyway.

Lets just hope these people can get jobs elsewhere and it secures the future of GSK in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

My Dad got told yesterday that he would be left go after 30 years of service if he doesnt transfer to the other site and make a pay cut of 40%, this is his life and it is so hard to see a man of his age having to be forced out of a job that he truly loves, I remeber some good times been in that factory when i was younger going to the christmas parties etc his job is the only thing he talks about apart from the local gaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hasmunch wrote: »
    In reality they have not been replacing staff leaving in the past year or two anyway.
    I know this not to be the case.
    tiny-tyno wrote: »
    My Dad got told yesterday that he would be left go after 30 years of service if he doesnt transfer to the other site and make a pay cut of 40%, this is his life and it is so hard to see a man of his age having to be forced out of a job that he truly loves, I remeber some good times been in that factory when i was younger going to the christmas parties etc his job is the only thing he talks about apart from the local gaa
    Genuinely unfair treatment.

My Dad got told yesterday that he would be left go after 30 years of service if he doesnt transfer to the other site and make a pay cut of 40%
    Your Dad is one of very few employed by Block Drug from day one!

I could count on one hand the men with 30 years service.

If he's employed by Sterling-Winthrop his max service is 25 years this year.

If he's employed by Block Drug first day, thirty years in, his name is likely Sean, Dennis or Peter. If not, he's probably got less years in like myself (20)

We are doing our best for Unite members, there will be a meeting at 19:00 in Lawlors for all members this week coming! Notification is up on the notice boards on site.
    make a pay cut of 40%
    No changes have been made so far with Unite members?
    If your Dad was a staff member then I have no knowledge of their deals going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I know this not to be the case

They didnt replace a number of staff in the last two years, in the departments i have worked in anyway. This was not the case for all staff leaving though but some were not replaced.

The Hint is in my screen name Tyno, add dennis to that and there ya have it, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

are you suggesting that their is a disparity of 40% in the wages of lab technicians (ALL OF WHOM CARRY OUT THE SAME TYPE OF WORK!!), that work for GSK in Dungarvan???!!!

If this is the case, then all i can say is WOW!!

I have no idea who gets paid what or the difference between one person and the next, but if you can imagine a person with 30 years of service with an orginal contract agreement with smithline against a person to whom has 5 years of service with gsk then of course there would be a difference it would be the same in any company.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I have no idea who gets paid what or the difference between one person and the next, but if you can imagine a person with 30 years of service with an orginal contract agreement with smithline against a person to whom has 5 years of service with gsk then of course there would be a difference it would be the same in any company.

if both people were members of a trade union, then the same rate of pay would apply. GSK dont pay long-service awards, so both employees should be on the same rate.

if both people were members of a trade union, then the same rate of pay would apply. GSK dont pay long-service awards, so both employees should be on the same rate.

I have no idea what way the company works with there pay nor do I want to understand it , My orginal post was just to state that a member of my family has been effected by the meeting the other day and as you can understand that no matter where you work if you get told that your job is at risk it is an upset not only to the person involved but there family also. Therefore I am not going to get into the in's and out's of what the companys policys are to which you must appriciate I am not employed by them myself.

A lot of GSK OTC lab are staff, not unionised. GSK do have some sort of service increment, Dennis has an Original Block Drug contract carried over, he's auld stock! ;)

Sorry to hear Dennis is stressed over this, he's given thirty years to his job and deserves to be treated with respect!

A lot of GSK OTC lab are staff, not unionised. GSK do have some sort of service increment, Dennis has an Original Block Drug contract carried over, he's auld stock! ;)

Sorry to hear Dennis is stressed over this, he's given thirty years to his job and deserves to be treated with respect!

Ya His pushing on a bit allright , it may be the break he needs I'l have him kept busy with garden work at my own house lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement