Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to stop a dog from sleeping in the bed

Options
  • 06-07-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have a 5 month old Lab/Whippet mix

She is a very clingy dog and is always howling when she is not with me

She goes to bed in the kitchen at around 11 with her own bed and toys and we go to bed to but when left alone she destroys the place, she has eaten the door frame and wires in the kitchen etc but doesnt howl.

So she start howling and scraping the kitchen door at around 2am so we get up and bring her out to do her business and then put her back to bed.

We dont be two minutes back in bed and shes screaming so to get a good night sleep because we work long hours we just let her sleep on the bed

But it has come to a stage where im not getting any sleep because she sleeps my side and as she is a big dog she takes up alot of room

So i have to put my foot down and stop her from sleeping in the bedroom
    Has anyone any tips for me as im ready to give up :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Crate Training!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

andreac wrote: »
    Crate Training!! :)

We cant get a crate big enough for her anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

sparky89 wrote: »
    We cant get a crate big enough for her anywhere

Where have you looked? I have crates here that malamutes fit into no bother, and large GSDs.

Where are you based? There are loads of places that sell crates and online too. Argos have them as well. A lab/whippet wouldnt be that big so a medium crate should be fine.

Most pet shops sell them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

ive looked in the oet shops in town and im based in athlone

• Advertisement

Ask them to order one in for you or you can get one online too. Zooplus sell them or just google crates and loads of places online have them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I've got a great dane sized crate here at home so you should be able to get one to fit her size easily. Best thing you can do is crate train her and learn to ignore her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

+1 million on the crate training!

Our springer was like a one dog demolition derby. And if she wasn't destroying something she was peeing and pooing on it!

Best thing we ever got and have never have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers

I bought mine off zooplus and would recommend them thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

The cage idea sounds a little extreme and doesn't include her as one of your 'pack'. Why not get a big doggy cushion and put it beside your bed? She will soon learn that she isn't allowed on the bed but won't feel nervous or excluded...

• Advertisement

annascott wrote: »
    The cage idea sounds a little extreme and doesn't include her as one of your 'pack'. Why not get a big doggy cushion and put it beside your bed? She will soon learn that she isn't allowed on the bed but won't feel nervous or excluded...

Theres nothing wrong with using a crate, most dogs actually love them, mine def does and will curl up in his crate any chance he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

annascott wrote: »

I'd recommend doing a bit of research on crate training. It actually caters to one of their more primal instincts, that of wanting a "den" a little covered space that belongs to just them. When done properly a crate works wonders for less confident dogs. Anxious dogs are given a feeling of stability that they thrive on.

On top of that, I believe it very important for the mental health of both the dog and owners to encourage a dog to be able to function when you're not there. A dog should be able to sleep alone without being anxious because the fact is, you are not going to be there every single night of the dogs life. If you encourage independence then when you have to be away overnight, or even if you're too ill to have the dog in the room, it needn't be a stressful thing for you pet.

Do you really believe that if your dog doesn't sleep in your bed he doesn't see himself as part of your pack? Or is it the crate itself you have an issue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I was a bit unsure about crate training Ruby, our springer. I have 2 adult westies too and never needed to crate train them.

However, the dog being chastised/ignored for doing wrong was too much for all involved.

Now, Ruby and one of the westies share the crate at night. Westies usually run to be in the crate at night, bit of a first there wins :D This goes to show you that the dogs have no problem with the crate.

Advertisement