Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Top angling moments

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Was looking at a photo of me on facebook from a few years ago where iam just after landing my first and pb pike on a boat trip on the shannon-erne waterway,
    it got me thinking what are my top angling moments over the years.

1. First and pb pike at 19.5lb

2. Learning to fly fish and stalking and catching a nice rainbow with a midge dry fly for the first time.

3.Wasnt me but still a top moment, seeing my girlfriend catch a +2lb roach on the Boyne canal 2 years ago.

What top moments do you have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Sticking a size 6 hook in the lip of a young lad as he was cycling by me down a hill the reel screamed he was an asshole but was an accident.:pac:

Catching a carp about 18 19 pounds on a handline in australia after bringing a guy who never wet a line before on the murray river in 43 degree heat

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Sticking a size 6 hook in the lip of a young lad as he was cycling by me down a hill the reel screamed he was an asshole but was an accident.:pac:
    ha ha that is a classic:D... should be a scene from only fools and horses if was still being filmed:D

mine prob would be;1. best pike day= 1st fish was 6lb, 2nd was 13lb 3oz, 3rd pike was 17lb and a new PB, only to be beaten an hour later or less by a 22lb 9oz pike and this is still my PB,
    2. best trout on lough ree 5lb 13oz, watched by my 11yr old daughter and will never forget her excitement at the size of the fish:D
    3. after 5days of ferox fishing and catching nothing, and with just half an hour before goin home finally catching a 7lb 3oz fish! wasnt a ferox but a big brown trout and is my PB to date.
    4. went fishing on a local lake as a teenager at 5am one summer bagging several big perch, some bream of 3 to 4lbs, but the highlights of that morning session were 2 tench,a fish species which i had never caught before and havent since, weighing 4lb and 7lb 8oz.... serious fighters those tench:):)
    5. watching my kids beat their PB's in pike and trout over the last few yrs has been a pure joy as a father, and at 12 and 14yrs of age hopefully it will continue for many yrs to come

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

1. best fish, 85lbs blue shark (on 30lbs main line)
    2. catching a 14lbs 2oz spurdog on a spinning rod with a 10lbs leader.
    3. catching a 17lbs 15oz undulate ray, (1oz short of the Irish record) (on 10lbs main line)
    4. catching a 7lbs 7oz sea trout while fishing for mackerel
    5 catching a 8lbs 8oz bass on a local beach while fishing for flounder.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I think it's not about the weight that counts for me but the moment. sometimes catching a minnow after trying so hard on a new method can be a lot more exciting than catching a biggy on a piano string.

Barracuda in Nigeria was a great moment. But my best memories are the first trouts on the fly. These evenings in college spent trout fishing instead of studying.

And sometimes my best angling moment don't even include a fish in it :D just to be by the water at dawn in a spring morning is a privilege.

First Salmon was very special too, on a claret and mallard size 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

1. My pb pike, 25lb. the sight of it tailwalking will never leave me.

2. First day sea fishing I landed a 28lb tope :D

3. At the fishing show in swords in 2004, I met Matt Hayes, one of the reasons I got into fishing. Had a 5 minute conversation with him about pike fishing, even drew a rig for me, very down to earth guy. The same day I was talking to Des Tayler, and who walks over and joins the conversation only Martin Bowler! Its not every day you get to meet 3 people like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

1/ Fighting a Blue Marlin in Mexico, roughly 150 lb. Didn't boat it but got it up to the boat after a good half hour and the captain shook the hook out.
    2/ Catching the first trout on a fly I tied myself to my own design.
    3/ Catching a 2lb brownie in Lough Talt when the biggest I ever caught there prior to that was just over a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

fishing a small pond in wexford as a kid and catching about 40millionty roach with a 9 foot spinning rod! may as well have been using a beach caster.

First wild trout on the fly. was only about 4 inches lonng but i never forget the feeling of seeing him coming up and sipping down the midge floating on the water. good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

catching a 20 lb ish tope on a 1/0 hook 12lb snood fishing for whiting of killoghter beach,

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Catching my biggest Suir trout of 4lb on a dry fly I tied myself ..... Heaven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

catching a 22lb 2oz Pike on Virginia Lake Co Cavan back in 2003, 5mins before i was about to pack it in for the night, using frozen mackerel dead bait 26lb maxima line. The only thing i didnt pack was a camera but i will never forget it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

hooking (altho subsequently losing) my first seatrout. a 30 second battle that the fish won turned me into an obsessive sea trout angler.

funniest moment i can think of....i was fishing the ESB fishery of the Lee on a club outing. There were lots of experienced salmon anglers there but plenty of novices including myself too. One of the novices hooked a small grilse that jumped clean from the water and landed on a weed bank 3/4 of the way across the river. The joker of the club, none to pleased with this out come, stripped down to a lovely pair of heart adorned boxers, waded out to the fish, picked him up, waded back and presented him to the lad that hooked him..."there's your first salmon boi!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Winning the junior Irish Pike Championship way back when.
    Came 2nd the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Fishing the collagen river in dungarvan after mitching from school with a would be girlfriend.i hooked a 4 1/2 pound seatrout that got tangled in the old railway girders that stick out of the water. so I ended up wiping off my pants and going in and getting him.She was so impressed.So we went back out again that weekend were a buried a size 4 copper mepz into there calf and that was the end of that short relationship.

6 lb bass i got earlier this year aahhh

Advertisement