Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

war of independence game

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

is there a game made or a game in the making about 1916 and the war of independence.
    i think this would be a good game and would sell well both in ireland and in america...
    it could also include mission like the rebels attemp to get guns from the germans

both multiplayer and single player

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Somehow I don't think that would sell well in the UK. The Egyptians didn't record their defeats...In theory it would be even better if it covered the whole revolutionarly period up to the civil war. Imagine being able to choose sides 2/3 of the way through the game and saving Michael Collins from dying as an alternate ending. Might be a nice project for some I.T. students to work on.

The Suikoden RPG series has some similiar themes, especially the first one. Even the main character has an Irish name, Tir McDohl, but they're set in medieval eras. You recruit a rebel army and try to overthrow an empire and establish a Republic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 2 is probably the closest you will get considering it's the story of a rebellion that ends up dividing friends and family with tragic consequences. Matsuno did the same thing with Tactics Ogre which is a medieval retelling of the war in the Balkan states in the 1990's. Perhaps we'll see something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i dont see it selling well in the uk but i think it would sell well here
    i think it would sell well because it one topic that hasent been used in games...
    ww2 and modern warefare is overused...

anybody out there who is a game designer could make this on the side or as a main project

i for 1 would buy it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

id play, but only if I could play as the british

well you would play as British in single player because it would seam pointless to me
    but quite possible as multiplayer

also you could have the civil war as a second game and the third game could be the troubles in NI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

bpb101 wrote: »
    is there a game made or a game in the making about 1916 and the war of independence.
    i think this would be a good game and would sell well both in ireland and in america... it could also include mission like the rebels attemp to get guns from the germans

I think that was (1919-1922), and anyway it wasn't a proper war in the sense that it wasnt spectacular enough (for gaming purposes), as others have said a game would devide families, and anyway the theatre was all too small & sporadic. Not sure the Irish market (very small) would support the demand 4 such a game.

i would disagree that it wouldnt sell well , the film micheal collins was a big suceess so why wouldn't a game sell well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i doubt many developers would make a game where you command the original IRB/IRA and act as a terrorist in american/brit eyes freedom fighters in the rest of the worlds eyes.....although it would be epic,it could be called call of duty:its a feckin weapon(if you know your michael collins film quotes,you'll get that line:D)

i say in brits eyes there were terrorist but in american eyes freedom fighters..
    the ORIGINAL IRA/IRB were not terrorist...
    they did not attack or kill civilians

they took control of the gpo and other buliding and held it...and told the brithish get out of our country....

meanwhile the brithish shot cilvians when they were looting for food....

i think the yanks would like the game as nearly ever americans loves begin irish..
    eg brack obama he 5% irish but he considers himself irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

At the rate CoD is going they'll probably make this game eventually. CoD 13: generic bad shooter with an irish theme

• Advertisement

i say in brits eyes there were terrorist but in american eyes freedom fighters..
    the ORIGINAL IRA/IRB were not terrorist...
    they did not attack or kill civilians

they took control of the gpo and other buliding and held it...and told the brithish get out of our country....

meanwhile the brithish shot cilvians when they were looting for food....

i think the yanks would like the game as nearly ever americans loves begin irish..
    eg brack obama he 5% irish but he considers himself irish

calm down gerry

calm down gerry

:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Would one of the missions involve sitting in a factory and eating biscuits for a week?

:L

in fairness i get where you are coming from but post 9/11 the yanks are quite wankerish towards freedom fighters hence the whole backin israel to the hilts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's a COD sequel in there somewhere, once they've cracked the barrel's end. Obviously, since it's Activision, the British would have to be substituted with North Koreans/Afgans/80's Russians, but it's close enough, no?

in fairness i get where you are coming from but post 9/11 the yanks are quite wankerish towards freedom fighters hence the whole backin israel to the hilts

what about Libya... now

its the very same thing

except the only reason why the rebels are wining is because there is f16 from american , French and Britain flying over Libya in the rebels favor

what about Libya... now

its the very same thing

except the only reason why the rebels are wining is because there is f16 from american , French and Britain flying over Libya in the rebels favor

we are getting waaaaaay off topic here but libya has a dickhead dictator and i assume oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ill be honest.

I read the title of this thread and thought the OP was asking for a Independence Day game. Which funny enough i have played and was terrible.

we are getting waaaaaay off topic here but libya has a dickhead dictator and i assume oil?

reguardless if he a "dickhead" or not there not saying to the chinese " lighten up on that 1 child rule or we blow the place up on you"

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ill be honest.

I read the title of this thread and thought the OP was asking for a Independence Day game. Which funny enough i have played and was terrible.

ill always remember using the cheat to shoot your own planes:pac:
    reguardless if he a "dickhead" or not there not saying to the chinese " lighten up on that 1 child rule or we blow the place up on you"

thats not terrorism its sense in that country:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

The amount of money required to make a game of any quality would not be recouped by the fact that it would sell pretty much exclusively in Ireland.
    Also, as wars go, the Irish War of Independence was a dull affair.

I could see it going the way of this:
    42483-forside.jpg&w=200

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Command and Conquer: Green Alert?

Pitchforks for the Paddy infantry, horse and cart for their armour?

Little county by county war maps?

Terrible cheesy live-action mission briefings from Liam Neeson?

I'd buy it.

noodler wrote: »
    Command and Conquer: Green Alert?

Pitchforks for the Paddy infantry, horse and cart for their armour?

Little county by county war maps?

Terrible cheesy live-action mission briefings from Liam Neeson?

I'd buy it.

jesus christ i want it now!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Best option there would be to get stuck in and mod it yourself.

Maybe a DoW2 style guerilla-tactics squad mod?

Or a COD mod with bolt-action rifles and Tommies set in or around Dublin? Instead of storming the Reichstag, you could storm the GPO.

i will say some of the comments are funny but all joking a side
    if you play shooter games , would you buy this game?

yeh i would get it BUT only if the background songs where irish folk songs......just imagine it pointing a gun at a tan and "take me up to monto" was on :pac:

If it was a good game, yeah I would. If it was just a blatant cash in on Irish sentimentality then no.

well the reason i think it would be succeful is because its is one of few wars that havent been used in a game from the 20th century.

well the reason i think it would be succeful is because its is one of few wars that havent been used in a game from the 20th century.

There were SHÍTLOADS of wars in the 20th C that never made it into games, and a lot of these have far higher body counts than the little scuffle that was the War of Independence.

Have a look at this link for an idea: http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/massacre.html

• Advertisement

There were SHÍTLOADS of wars in the 20th C that never made it into games, and a lot of these have far higher body counts than the little scuffle that was the War of Independence.

Have a look at this link for an idea: http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/massacre.html

im hardly a IRA head but that site needs to update to include the loyalists murders:rolleyes:

Advertisement